Thread: First time Inquirer

Default First time Inquirer

I am a first time inquirer and would like to know if a small foot-print machine (4x4) would answer my desire to elmimnate 50-75 templates we use to cut out sink holes in 3/4" laminated formica /particle board countertops up to 12' long. We currently plumge-rout the opening from the bottom side with the various height backsplashes hanging downward. Our volume is not great 5-10 per week so a large expense is not waranted, The Library of templates is just annoying and freeing up that storage space would be welcome. Your comments will be appreciated especally along the lines of cost and what to do next especally in this economy.

A 4X4' would be ideal for this type of work. You would of course, need to supplement the machine table with in & out feed tables/rollers etc to properly support the material. Something a bit more robust than saw horses would be in order.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

The biggest issue you will get into is cutting out close to the backsplash if you plan on having the countertop up instead of down. With a standard 4" splash and nominal 3/4" countertop substrate you will be very close on clearance if you cut upside down with a typical 6" gantry z height. If your gantry has 8" z you will be able to do it easily. Either way you need to build a raised deck to support your countertop and pull it off unless you post install your splash. Cutting from the top you won't have enough distance between the bit and the backsplash to clear your router/spindle.

Bleeth, He said he cuts them upside down.

The table deck could be modified to allow for the backsplash.

Mount the deck lower and have a raised part that the counter sits on.

Very workable.

Support tables on each side would be needed. The biggest pain will be sliding the counter under the gantry of the machine without scratching it.

Maybe carpeted runners for your support tables or something like that would help.
    Kenneth

Cabinets Plus of Augusta, Hephzibah Ga 30815

Just laminate the top of the box that the countertop will rest on and still cut from the under side

Remember that with a drop edge the nominal total height of a standard countertop is 5 1/2". The bit will be sticking out of the router 1 1/2-2".

The only way this will work without modifying the steel bed supports is with a 8" Z.

Agreed you can modify the supports, as well as install a runner/support system for the countertops. The object of the exercise, as I understood it, was to save space taken up by templates. I obviously think a CNC is a great tool to own but I don't think taking a 4 x 4 and modifying the bed and installing support extensions will save that much space over less than a hundred templates!

Since it appears that this machine will be a single purpose tool, I feel that it would be fairly easy to accomodate upside down cutting (my personal preferrence) on tops using the standard Z height.

Special purpose table construction with no space used up for table board or plenum seems the way to go.
    Gary Campbell
    GCnC Control
    GCnC411(at)gmail(dot)com
    Servo Controller Upgrades
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1

"We can not solve our problems with the same level of thinking that created them"
    Albert Einstein

I agree with Gary it would not take more than a Saturday to make the modifications
    John