Thread: Topping out at end of file-FAILSAFE, cont.

Hybrid View

Default Topping out at end of file-FAILSAFE, cont.

What seems to be happening with the last 3-4 files is at the conclusion of the file it goes back to home (center of material) the router powers down but while it is doing that it is raising the Z to where it is topping out and falling on the finished project. This has happed at least 3 times in a row.

The last file was a simple 3d finishing pass using a 1/8th" ballnose bit carving on a 1" thick piece of walnut sitting on top of a .75 piece of mdf jig. The bit was 2"(?) and the cutter "safe Z height" was set at .10

When i C2 the Z set up to 1" above material prior to starting file. When file ends the Z goes up to 1.5" or more before it craps out and falls.

What part of the code do i need to show in order to see where the issue is because i can't recognize where the problem is.

Jack:

" cutter "safe Z height" was set at .10"
    If this was the height set for safe Z in your design software you need to click the cutter tab in SB3. You will see a z height variable there. That is where the z will go to at the end of a file.

Also check the 'Home' z height in the material setup in Aspire.

You have a setting for safe z height to clear clamps etc when cutting, but beneath it in the material setup is the home Z height which may be set to 1.5 or more in your case.

I got caught the other day when I first mistakenly set up for 2" material zeroed on the table, then changed it to zero at top of material without checking the z home. It was set to 3" and I bumped the top stop. Luckily I was just using a plotter pen so no damage done.
    Ken Zey
    Lookout Mercantile / Digital Millwork
    Rogers, AR
    www.CedarSlabSigns.com
    www.lookoutmercantile.com
    www.digitalmillwork.com

6x12 PRS alpha

Mine always goes to the home position set in the toolpath at the end of the job - not to what's set in SB3.

I've missed changing the "Home Z" position when changing material setup, too! Fortunately, it will tell you if it is too low, but I don't think it displays a message, if it is too high...

Ron
    Ron Sloan