Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pocketing type engraving - best bit?

Default pocketing type engraving - best bit?

Hi fellow shopbotters,
    I got my Bot a couple of months ago and I am slowly progressing to taking control of this beast. I need to say that I've learned a lot from this forum, so a big thank you to everyone involved in it.
    I need to do something like this:

The material is MDF, which after engraving is finished with poliurethane laquer.
    The engraving is basically pocketing. I need to have a very good smooth level finish on the bottom and the edges need to be perfect too. The depth will be 1/8" (3mm).
    What would be the best type of bit - straight, spiral, ball nose, upcut, downcut...?
    My guess is downcut spiral endmill, but I will really appreciate any advice.
    Also, I will be very grateful for any guidance about feed rates and RPM.
    Thanks in advance.
    Vassil

2-flute straight would be what I would use. Downcut spirals leave swirl marks on pocket bottom.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

I'd recommend a 2 flute downshear FEM. I've been using the ones from Centurian Tools with very good results. The FEM tools leave a close to swirl free finish on the bottom of the cut. I recently ran 100 knife boxes in walnut with a 0.25" downcut FEM and the pocket cuts were perfect. Any tool marks should sand out quickly with MDF.

http://www.centuriontools.com/router...ECTIONSword=ww

Thanks a lot, guys.
    How about if the material is Corian? Same type of bits?

Vassil...
    If material is Corian or one of the acrylic clones, use a single O flute
    Gary Campbell
    GCnC Control
    GCnC411(at)gmail(dot)com
    Servo Controller Upgrades
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1

"We can not solve our problems with the same level of thinking that created them"
    Albert Einstein

Gary,

Straight or Spiral O? If spiral, up or downcut? (I guess the downcut is not an option due to possible welding of the chips). Also would the O flute leave a good surface on the bottom during this pocketing operation?
    Also I went through ONSRUD's catalogue but there are so many O flute bits. Could you suggest which exact bits you meant?

Also, would the O be good for MDF, or is it good only for plastic and aluminium?

Another thing I was wondering about, when it comes to cutting or engraving and choosing bit type, feed rates and RPMs, how similar/different are acrylic solid surface materials like Corian from other acrylic sheet materials like Plexiglass? I am sorry if this is a super lame question.

Thanks a lot.
    Vassil

Vassil...
    I am actually using Belin Single O upspiral. Dont know the number as I bought a dozen of them from another Botter. The bottom finish is not always the best, but I have "touched" the bottom point on a diamond hone and made it a little better.

I dont cut MDF, so I cant help you there.

The Corian clones are not as brittle as the clear types and cut much easier.
    Gary Campbell
    GCnC Control
    GCnC411(at)gmail(dot)com
    Servo Controller Upgrades
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1

"We can not solve our problems with the same level of thinking that created them"
    Albert Einstein

Thanks a lot for all the advice. This forum is such a great place to learn.

I started doing it with straight 2 flute bits and I am happy with the result, except for a few hiccups. In order to cut down on production time I combine two or three different bit sizes. In the example below I do a first pass with a 20mm bit, followed by a 6mm (1.8") bit. I generate the pocketing files in ArtCam and I use the arc post for that. I get two problems:

1. Even though I zero both bits at the same spot on top of the material I get different levels of the bottom surface in some areas. The smaller bit goes deeper than the first larger bit.
    I have surfaced the spoilboard so that should not be the problem.
    I guess one solution is to do the whole area with the smallest bit, but I thought that would be madness.
    On the attached image the center area is a leftover of the first pass done with the bigger bit and then the smaller bit went deeper around it.

2. The second problem is that at several places I have a uneven edge, which is highly repeatable and now I am sure it is in the file and not the result of vibration. See the first attached image and the following attached image:

V

VM,

Hope someone has a good answer why smaller bits, zero'd at the same level as larger one go deeper. It happens to me all the time.

J.