Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Free Laser Scanning Services to shopbot forum members

Quote Originally Posted by Mayo View Post
    Khalid,
    I think some of your previous scans looked better as images.

Were they higher resolution than the scans you are now doing?
    Maybe the colors displayed in the new scans makes them appear less detailed on screen but in fact they are more detailed?

If you have the same item you scanned from your first scans, and you now scan it with the new set up, are the cut files greatly different?
    Their is some Advanced Settings in new release (Version) of the software and i am still making scans and optimizing the parameters... As i am passing through the learning curves, I am feeling comfortable as the time passes..

I think my Laser width (thickness) is too much to get the details... Tomorrow i will check with my RED 5mW focusable laser and i will pluck another grape leaf to rule-out the Laser from the whole setup.. If i get the details with my red focusable laser then it means i have to upgrade to some high wattage Green focusable laser..
    Currently, my green laser pointer is modified to get the Line from the pointer and the unit is non-focusable...

My new blog address:
    http://free3dscans.blogspot.com/
    Last edited by khalid; 10-02-2010 at 01:23 PM.

Khalid,
    With utmost respect and admiration for your posts and endeavors.....I offer my opinion.

Whenever I hear or see the word "Free" my antenna go up and I protect my wallet.
    Nothing is free.
    Or..."free" is worth exactly what you pay for it.
    The word "Free" can be synonymous with scam.

Your service and skills have value.
    If you get a 100 so-called 'customers' who expect free scans....they will be the most miserable customers you have ever had.

No good deed will go unpunished!
    Arms length transactions only!

You need to put your services in front of people who can utilize the service to increase their profits.
    (Which is us! )
    It would be insulting to me if my customers expected me to work for free. It is semi-insulting that you would offer a free service.
    (Insulting in a debate format. I'm not insulted ;-)

The marketplace is a wonderful thing. It truly decides what services are worth. You are telling the marketplace laser scanning is worth-less.
    Frankly, I don't think the public knows how to take advantage of what you are doing. You should show them! ....for free. ;-)

2- Scanning model for free and then watching it cuts on CNC is my passion.
    Where you find passion, talent and service ... prosperity is right around the corner.
    Won't you serve your customers better by 'prospering' , all the while satisfying your passion?

Here is an idea for you!:

Remember the coin photo booths where young lovers, people on vacation and passport seekers pay money to get black and white photos of themselves?

Design a pay 3D photo carving booth or system.
    Offer free laser scanning in exchange for parts for the booth!
    You e-mail a one part file, they machine it and send you the part, you send them the free scan.

The only problem with this idea ... the Customs folk don't have a sense of humor when you whip out a 3D passport photo at the border.

Quote Originally Posted by navigator7 View Post
    Khalid,
    With utmost respect and admiration for your posts and endeavors.....I offer my opinion.

Whenever I hear or see the word "Free" my antenna go up and I protect my wallet.
    Nothing is free.
    Or..."free" is worth exactly what you pay for it.
    The word "Free" can be synonymous with scam.
    Hi navigator7, Welcome and thanks for the precious advices... Thanks for the detailed writeup and the time and knowledgeable post....

I am a hobbyist but off-course i need some money to run my hobbies... You are absolutely right that nothing is free in this world... In my case all of my time and resources has some expenses... I have contacted only three persons so far who willing to 3D scanning out of which two have sent me the Actual models...

Life is the other name of experience.. I am learning from experience... Suppose if i had a 20000dollar scanner and i offered a low cost laser scanning service and i received only two or three services in one month then it would be horrible...

I just got a good experience in only 32 years of my age..
    1- Nobody cares for free service
    2- Peoples think something is hidden behind the free proposals
    3- It seems a big scam

Another side , if i offered Laser scanning service with a tagged price then
    1- Keeping my scanning hardware in their view, nobody gives me laser scanning offer
    2- Everybody think its another scam

I am learning and learning...

Your service and skills have value.
    If you get a 100 so-called 'customers' who expect free scans....they will be the most miserable customers you have ever had.

No good deed will go unpunished!
    Arms length transactions only!
    Partially Agreed....
    You need to put your services in front of people who can utilize the service to increase their profits.
    (Which is us! )
    It would be insulting to me if my customers expected me to work for free. It is semi-insulting that you would offer a free service.
    (Insulting in a debate format. I'm not insulted ;-)
    I am not giving you service for free... I am enriching my own experience that will give me a good payback in the long run... If i scan something to you free of cost, you will judge the quality of my scan..if its not upto your mark, you will leave it..but if you like it, you will come again to me... So offering free of cost service will give me experience what quality my customer like.. I will then upgrade my Hardware to reach at that Mark...
    This will increase my customers... Hmmm..I don't want to earn money in a single day without full-filling commitments... I am thinking for the next 5 or 10 years... My vision is a big laser scanning company with multiple branches that can full-fill the need s of 95% of consumers (low cost game developers, reverse engineer, CNC hobbiest etc)...

May be someone here whos already involve in laser scanning business insulted.. but many peoples who contacted me offerd support services that i sometime regretted sometime accepted.. Sometime i personally call them for help...For example, The laser i have in my hands are the courtesy of Richard Bouchard and Neville Stewart...

The marketplace is a wonderful thing. It truly decides what services are worth. You are telling the marketplace laser scanning is worth-less.
    Frankly, I don't think the public knows how to take advantage of what you are doing. You should show them! ....for free. ;-)
    Hmmm... Absolutely right... I am looking for my 95% consumers whereas the high cost laser companies looks for only 5% of their consumers...
    Where you find passion, talent and service ... prosperity is right around the corner.
    Won't you serve your customers better by 'prospering' , all the while satisfying your passion?

I agree but not possible in my region and especially in my country..
    Here is an idea for you!:

Remember the coin photo booths where young lovers, people on vacation and passport seekers pay money to get black and white photos of themselves?

Design a pay 3D photo carving booth or system.
    Offer free laser scanning in exchange for parts for the booth!
    You e-mail a one part file, they machine it and send you the part, you send them the free scan.

The only problem with this idea ... the Customs folk don't have a sense of humor when you whip out a 3D passport photo at the border.
    Do you know what my salary is!!!!! I am incharge of Big Machine shop with 12 Lathes, 3Milling Machines, 2-balancing Machines, 3Radial Drill Machines, 1 shaper, Crankshaft and tool grinding machines, 1 Boring machines, 3-Lapping Machines...

Now, the problem is i am a salaried person and spent my 8-Hours straight in my Company ... After that CNC,Laser scanning and embroidery is my hobby...
    May be someday i will own a big company...

kahlid, i know who you are and how valuable you are to many in cnc

keep up the good work

jim

Default 3D Duck

yesterday I did duck scan for one of my friend.. Here are the results:
    The Original duck:

1- Color depth image.

2- Opening all the scan...

3- Scan arranged to get them assembled

Default contd.

4- Scans Aligned and merged after clean up the base.

5- Fusion results of all 08 Scan

khalid,
    how much time went into cleaning up and stitching the scans to get it to the final model? Looks great so far....

Hi Jack
    1- Each scan took 5 minutes i.e. 40minutes all 8 scans
    2- Cleanup of all scans took: 15minutes
    3- Alignment of All scans took: 40 minutes
    4- Fusion of All scans took 5 minutes
    Last edited by khalid; 10-12-2010 at 09:00 AM.

Default Dragon Head Scanning for Mayo Pardo, USA

A couple of days ago i received a Dragon Head for Laser scanning from Mr. Pardo Mayo, USA... He want to make a Mail box out of it on his CNC.. He wrote me about his idea of How he will machine it:

"For the machining technique, I was thinking of cutting the head as a left side and a right side.Each side will need to be cut in several slices which I will glue together.Then I would glue the left and right sides together to complete the head. This is going to be a challenging project for me! And then to paint it to look like the model is another challenge"

It was a difficult scan because of intricate details and undercuts.. Moreover, the size of Dragon head was very small.. I did about 17 scans from all the angles to collect maximum details out of it.. the final 3D model is about High resolution 58Mb file... The scaling of the Dragon Head will not loose resolution...
    Attached Images Attached Images