Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Free Laser Scanning Services to shopbot forum members

Default Free Laser Scanning Services to shopbot forum members

Hi guys,
    I have learnt a lot from this forum and now i want to return a little back to this forum... I want to offer FREE 3D Laser scanning services to the this helpful community..

NOW, YOU DON'T NEED TO PURCHASE EXPENSIVE LASER SCANNER AND SPENT A LOT OF MONEY. I AM HERE TO RENDER MY LASER SCANNING SERVICES FREE OF CHARGE TO ALL SHOPBOT FORUM MEMBERS.

BUT,I need your help:

1- Preparing some Rules and Regulations for such scanning work.
    2- Obtaining a server where i can post the 3D Models

I need your help in the first part for now. For example,
    1- i can't buy the object to scan it for you, you have to provide the object.
    2- You have to bear shipment charges if you want to send me or getting it back.
    3- I am not liable to any damage to the part.
    4- if the part is available in my locality, i will just ask for Fair price to purchase and scan free for you.
    5- If it is household item i will scan free for you (if it is in my house) and send you mesh model.
    6- I will send you MESH model in STL or OBJ format only.
    7- The part to be scan should not be from Atomic power plant, Weapons etc
    8- If the object is Transparent, translucent, shiny and dark.. I have to apply fine powder on it.. The cost of powder and consumables will be beared by the member...
    9- I have the right to display the scanned pictures on my blogsites
    10- The scanned Model will be my property But I will never share/distribute the model to anyone without the permission of real owner of the model

I will be grateful if you can add further or rephrase the above so that we have some legal obligations at both sides. As i am giving you laser scanning services free of charge....

Currently, i have some scans done and you can see the quality:
    www.free3Dscans.blogspot.com
    www.my-woodcarving.blogspot.com

I love this forum, so I added shopbot forum links on my-woodcarving blogspot.
    Your help is highly appreciated.
    Regards
    _________
    Last edited by khalid; 09-25-2010 at 05:03 AM.

I have a few custom carvings I'd like scanned but I think that you'll have a hard time convincing customers that you insist on ownership of the resultant scanning.

As a matter of fact, I've probed some proprietary parts in the past for customers that insisted (in writing) that I shall never use the scans and that I distroy all of the copies that were generated.

I think that you are doing a great job but I'd rethink the ownership thing. IMHO.

Tom

Yes Tom.. I was also thinking about that last point.. No body will agree with that point..
    I think Point No. 10 should be like as following:
    The scanned Model will be my property But I will never share/distribute the model to anyone without the permission of real owner of the model i.e the person who gave me the object for scanning
    But I want to show only the pictures of final scanning to my viewers!!!I think nobody will mind it!!!!
    Last edited by khalid; 09-23-2010 at 01:56 PM.

If someone just wants a scan job and they PAY you for the service, then the ownership should be theirs.

As long as it is free, I don't think anyone could expect you to not share it.
    Kenneth

you may want to go look at vector art3d policy and adapt those terms?

Hi,
    Now you people will think that why i am doing that much efforts for free.. Frankly speaking following are the reasons:

1- 3D laser scanning is my hobby and i give a lot of time to it.
    2- Scanning model for free and then watching it cuts on CNC is my passion.

What I will get in return:
    1- I will display the Scanned Pictures alongwith the customer name and website on my blogs for free.
    2- This will increase the traffic on my blogs from where i will get a small amount of money if you click on Advertisement (0.02 Cent for clicking one advertisement).... This money (US $1 or $2 daily, based on blog traffic) will be enough for me to keep my hobbies running...

Jack, I think the above terms and conditions are much better..I do not want to complicate the things... Sure, I will destroy the scans if the end-user tell me to do so... All i need the scanning pictures so that i keep updating my blog on daily basis.

ken_rychlik
    Getting payment from the end-users is not the purpose except if i use some consumables during the scan (i will first discuss and charge the price).
    I think my above terms and conditions will cover me... But should I add:
    1- Laser scanning of patents or copyright materials is good or not?.... someone can through a light on it?
    Last edited by khalid; 09-26-2010 at 02:28 PM.

Kahlid,

I thank you for your very generous offer - I might take you up on it shortly - mostly to see how the scan compares to the probe, Obviously the probe is way slower, but it would be an interesting experiment! Of course, the probe would have a hard time doing full 3D!
    Ron Sloan

No problem RON.. You are always Welcome....

Default Grape Leaf revisited

About 6 months ago i scanned a grape leaf and sent it to Guy Mathew , Who has a great experience in both CNC machining and Laser scanning... He made a good relief of it and he has wonderful techniques in the relief making jobs out of scan..
    Today i pluck one of the Leaf from my Grape vine and tried another scan to see how my current improved setup work for it...

The results needs improvement as i am not satisfied with this scan... The details are not that good as compared to previous one i have posted in this forum...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Khalid,
    I think some of your previous scans looked better as images.

Were they higher resolution than the scans you are now doing?
    Maybe the colors displayed in the new scans makes them appear less detailed on screen but in fact they are more detailed?

If you have the same item you scanned from your first scans, and you now scan it with the new set up, are the cut files greatly different?