Thread: Help with 3d programs

i just bought the prt96 and didn't know that i needed a 3d program is there any idea's out there were i can get a low-cost program maybe a free trial, or download just starting out and need to save money you know how that goes thanks for all you help
    tim

Tim,

There are many 3D programs "out there". Many have trail periods. Unfortunatly, they take so long to learn the trial period ususlly expires long before one can start to figure out what they can do with the program.

To recommend a program it would help to know what type of 3d work you want to do, your level of experience in CAD/CAM, the size of the objects and the level of detail you need.

I think it takes about 40 hours for a person with CAD experience to start working with a new program and close to 200-300 hours to become proficient.

I strongly suggest you find a program with more power than you think you will ever need, pay the expense, and take the time to learn it. Many CAD users have had the frustration of having to change to a more powerful program and have to relearn how to create stuff. Of course this happens when they have a project they have already contracted for and a CAD program that can't easily handle what they need to create.

Select carefully and good luck.

Ron

Tim,
    Look at www.millwizard.com, best deal in 3D software, (but it DOES have some limitations). I will also e-mail you a list of free 3D files that are available on the web, offline...

This one is FREE...FREEMILL!
    http://www.cncportal.com/downloadfree.htm
    But it's limited to basic 3D CAM... It can give you some idea.
    Other are "fun" too, but limited use; trial version... no saving, limited time trial, only one file working for trial...
    And this is only about CAM...

Here a "FUN-FUN" 3D CAD; RHINO
    http://download.mcneel.com/rhino/3.0/eval/
    And interesting trial; complete software and 25 saving just for you...
    Keep looking, there are plenty of CAD/CAM software...

Default Help with 3d programs

Tim,
    You probably don't NEED a 3D program...but most likely WANT one.

3D is divided into 2 sections just as 2D stuff is. 3D CAD design, and 3D CAM toolpathing.

While the ShopBot hardware and operating software is totally capable of running 3D toolpaths, you still need to create 3D toolpath data to run it.

There are dozens of 3D CAD programs and likewise for toolpathing. One popular solution is to use Rhino 3D to do 3D design and MillWizard to do the toolpathing to cut your shape out. That is probably one of the best combinations and values out there for someone getting into 3D work. Another solultion is to use a 3D probe like the SB probe, or even better a 3D scanner like a Roland Picza...I will be selling an extra one of these soon.

-Brady