Thread: Changing location of 0,0 corner

Default Changing location of 0,0 corner

Just checking to see if there is anyway on a PRS Alpha to change the 0,0 corner on the table and direction of x&y travel? I am wanting to change 0,0 to opposite corner (as in drawing).

thanks,

46776.jpg

Yes-Reversing the x and y inputs to your board would do this.

on a standard you could just switch the 2 x cables and switch the green and black wires on the y

this can become a pain though since most of the software is oriented the normal way.

you can change the 0,0 on all the software that I use.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I have been using a home built cnc and I am just used to having the 0,0 in the bottom left corner. I don't know how many times I have designed something and then ruined it when I started cutting on the Shopbot because I had the part oriented the wrong way on the table. I'm going to try moving the 0,0 and if it seems that it is causes a lot of problems, I will just have to change the 0,0 back and learn to use it that way.

you can change the corner that is home in vcarve but you can't change the x,and y as you are pointing out. I think it is pretty universal that x is the long ways and y is the shorter. changing that to match you homemade may be a long term mistake. plus all the measurements in vcarve are in the negative. not sure of the shopbot would be reading the negative.
    myself I would just take it as part of the learning curve and get used to it.

Doug...
    This is one of the things that can be done, and in fact, is often done on other brands. There are a few things to consider.

Software:
    Since you are still going to use the lower left corner for a 0,0 position, simply use 48 for the length (X) and 96 for the height (Y) (assumes cadcam similar to VCPro) Most use X as the length as it fits the landscape orientation of the computer screen better. The CNC just receives the numbers you give it, so it will never know the difference.

Machine:
    You cant simply swap X & Y wires as there are 2 motors on the X. Try using VI command with Y as channel 1, X as Channel 2 and Z as Channel 3. Your positve and negative values should be able to remain as is.

You may have to swap some parameters in the post processor for your CADCAM software to get this all to work properly.

Or you could stand in a different spot like I do!

Hope this helps, Gary

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I don't need any more problems than I have to, so it sounds like I'm just going to have to suck it up and learn to use the 0,0 like it's setup. Hopefully it won't take to many more mess ups for me to learn. Sounds like a good idea to stand in a different spot.

Doug,

With Partworks I have not figured out exactly how it determines its X and Y directions when put to use on the ShopBot. As a safety measure, before cutting any files I do an air cut to insure that the material is oriented correctly on the table. Set your X and Y zero at the usual place and see what PW does with that setting. If necessary adjust the material or the X,Y origin. When doing carvings, I tend to set X,Y 0 to the center of my carving and that eliminates problems, for me anyway. All I have to do is try and figure out the material orientation, thus the air cut.

When cutting cabinet parts with SB Link all of this is a non-issue as X,Y 0 is where it's supposed to be and X and Y direction coincide with the ShopBot X and Y direction.

Don
    www.diamondlakewoodworks.com