Thread: Computer Design time charge?

Question Computer Design time charge?

What are your standard rates for design times and how much do you charge? $60 per hour?

And all so Installation labor costs? 90 per hour plus Material costs?

Thanks!

Bart

Computer design time is the standard shop rate. Installation of cabinetry is a little less then standard shop rate. I figure it all into the project up front.

For design, I tell the customer up front that I've included X number of hours for design time. If the customer starts doing a lot of iterations that start creeping up on the budgeted amount I let them know that as soon as we reach the budgeted amount, additional time will be at standard shop rate.

For installation work, if it is a rip and replace I charge time and material as I don't know what I will be getting myself into during the process. The customer is aware of this up front so there are no surprises. Makes for a much better relationship.
    Don
    Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
    www.dlwoodworks.com
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece; But to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, bank accounts empty, credit cards maxed out, defiantly shouting "Geronimo"!

If you make something idiot proof, all they do is create a better idiot.

Default Thank you

Thanks Don Words of wisdom!!

It's good to see how others approach this trade and it's also good to see the diversity.

When a customer visits my shop and we get into pricing I don't usually break down the individual charges. Sometimes when a customer suggests he will do the install, I'll reduce that off the bill. But the normal practice is to include everything in the first verbal quote. The quickest way for me to come up with that price is by showing examples. If they see something they like I'll give them a couple of prices depending on the materials. Most people don't have a clue how a sign is priced and I try to get past that up front. That gets them in the ball park. Then I'll do a quick sketch and quote right on the spot. If we are in agreement I'll ask if I can start the finished concept drawing which will take about a week. There is a 50% deposit.

About Color Drawings: I use to make full color drawing. That turned out to cause problems. A beautiful, time consuming illustration, is just begging the clients to ask for color changes. Sometimes they would say their wife would like to see it in darker blue, Hunter green, or Robins Egg Blue, or etc. It would happen all the time and I never was paid enough for the trouble it caused. Not only that, it slowed down production to a crawl. For that reason alone, I only do line drawings and show them a color chart. It's a dangerous business letting rank amateurs tell an artist how to paint a sign. For years I've sold my signs off of a pencil sketches. I still rely on them to get things started. When I get to the computer they always loose some of their life.

This technique may not work for other shops but for me it's a real time saver.
    Last edited by joe; 10-09-2010 at 11:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dlcw View Post
    For installation work, if it is a rip and replace I charge time and material as I don't know what I will be getting myself into during the process.
    No Kidding!
    Case in point: We had new granite counters installed last Christmas.
    The water supply poked through the back of exiting beautiful cabinets.
    What must be 30 YO 1/2" galvanized connections were almost impossible to remove.
    Regardless, 3 months later we started smelling mold.
    No water sign anywhere.
    Then the counter top shifted.

F#@.......

As the granite guy went out of business... repair came to me.
    Cutting into the cabinet revealed two nails holding a 3/8" leaking copper line.
    Only Superman could know this.
    ~~~~~~~~~~

As far as getting paid for computer time ...
    I do work for here for locals who need stuff flame cut, or shop drawings or what have you.
    I have a better time of it when I throw out a "not to exceed number" than an hourly rate.
    I think it is my locale.
    $240.00 flat rate sells better than 4 hours @ $60/Hr.

Bart,

Please excuse my previous post. I thought you were asking about signs.

Joe...
    No need to pardon yourself. I think you were right on point.

You may have gotten confused due to posts by another that, for some reason, feel the need to post 15 off topic lines of expletives deleted (totally unrequired), superhero references, plumbing, counter tops and a very on point (?) line of tildes, so that we who are willing and may be able to help must plod thru to see that there may be a couple lines of good info. Maybe we should be thankful there are no concrete pump pics.
    Last edited by Gary Campbell; 10-09-2010 at 10:42 PM.
    Gary Campbell
    GCnC Control
    GCnC411(at)gmail(dot)com
    Servo Controller Upgrades
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1

"We can not solve our problems with the same level of thinking that created them"
    Albert Einstein

Talking Keep it up!

Great information guys!! Thanks for the help!!

Bart