Thread: Standard life of router bits?

Question Standard life of router bits?

What is the standard life expectancy of most router bits cutting wood products(MDO, MDF) or plastic products(Acrylic, Sintra, HDU Sign Foam)?

Figuring out depreciation rates if there is some sort of monthly cost someone can give me that would help too. I know it would depend on the materials as well router bit, but just trying to get a clear picture.

Thanks everyone!

All the users have their favorite bits and suppliers. My acryllic and other sign bits last forever as I do not do a whole lot of that.
    I am a cabinet shop and cut lots of plywood and put dadoes in the parts.
    I use KRB bits. 760 247 7323. Free shipping on orders over 100.00.
    They ship U.S. mail priority I get them next day. I use compression bits mostly 3/8". I got a free bit way back to test as did some other guys.
    I cut over 90 sheets of plywood and only wrecked the bit cause I hit a screw.
    I use the same bit for MDF, MDO, MDF. and particle board.
    Hope it helps you a little. The number I gave you,,,,,they are very happy to answer questions.
    Good luck.
    Dave

I use the 3/8" and 1/4" diamond like coated (DLC) mortise compression bits for all of my MDF and plywood cutting. I do cabinetry (plywood) and MDF parts for a local company. The DLC bits last a LONG time. Like Dave said, >90 sheets of ply. For carving I use 1/2", 1/4" and 1/8" ballnose bits from Onsrud or Centurian and I'm still on my first set (2.5 years) with 1 sharpening. Results are still pretty good.

As far as a standard life, it pretty much is determined by the type of material you are cutting, how efficient the bit is cutting (sawdust or chips) and the quality of the bit. In this game you will get what you pay for.

I think each person the is a regular up here has experimented until they found the ideal combination's that work for them. You will need to do the same thing.
    Don
    Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
    www.dlwoodworks.com
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece; But to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, bank accounts empty, credit cards maxed out, defiantly shouting "Geronimo"!

If you make something idiot proof, all they do is create a better idiot.

Default Very helpful!

Thanks guys for the helpful information I will call the number and hit them up with some questions.

Cheers,

Bart

Don,

Thank you for using the DLC coated bits. I am retiring from the company after this month. Call or text me at 210-860-3001 to get a few extra bits. I will give you a very good deal. The company will not continue this project and no one knows how to coat the bits after I leave. Jerome

Jerome...
    There are many of us that will miss your coated bits. Sorry to see you go. (Hopefully you didnt retire on us!)
    Gary Campbell
    GCnC Control
    GCnC411(at)gmail(dot)com
    Servo Controller Upgrades
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1

"We can not solve our problems with the same level of thinking that created them"
    Albert Einstein

Gary and all - try R & B Tool Supply - http://www.rbtoolsupply.com/ their Extended Life Series is great!
    Dick
    Aspire 10.5

I second R&B Tool Supply! I received (2)Two 3/8dia mortise compression bits to try out.I have used them to cut MDF/ Maple ply/solid hardwoods/PVC
    just about everything I was cutting.
    1st bit just has started to get dull.Must have cut a least 90 sheets of ply.
    http://www.WoodworkingByErminio.com

Custom Cabinetry, Furniture ,CNC Services
    Email:Wberminio@msn.com
    914-666-8746 Shop/Office