Thread: Am I the lucky one?

Bentley's Custom Woodshop, Lower Burrell Pa.

Angry Am I the lucky one?

I am so lucky. I finely bought the shopbot link I got Gary’s DVD and set all my setting. Checked the cut off falls and the software or link placed the off fall 36” in the minus y position. A week later Tech support gave me a work around. Don’t cut off falls.

I cut a 14X 25 base cabinet to test my settings and fit. They were a little sloppy, I think from bit deflection, so I change my max penetration on my .25 bit. Now when I write to shopbot the link freeze and closes. I want to know if this happen to anyone else or am I the lucky one? Does the link work?

The link does work.

Which version of sb3 are you running and which tool change files are you runnig?

I am running some old files that Gary made and I modified for my machine and everything works good. I could not get it to run with the oem shopbot files at first, but they are supposed to be working now. I am not messing with what works on mine though.

You shouldn't need to change max penetration to fix a dado fit. That can either be done in ecabs fit tolerance, or you can tell it you have a different size bit at the machine. It doesn't hurt to measure your bit to see if it actually is .25
    Kenneth

I am running sb3.6.24 and the ome sb files. Shopbot tech went over mtc files on the first problem as well Thermwood techs to check my settings. I used a machinist .375 block in the dado and it fit at the bottom and had a .01 space at the surface of the ply.

That sounds like a side clearance setting. ecab setting

It will take a while to work out the bugs for how your machine cuts.

I run .007 clerance fit and .05 side clearance, but I imagine every machine is a little different.

The max depth sounds like the setting you want it to cut into the spoilboard. I run .015 there.

Some of the issues can be fixed in the link, and others have to be fixed in ecabs.

I can't help with the oem files though.

It gets better, but you just have to work through the issues one at a time. Don't make a ton of changes and expect it to all work. Make one change and see if it fixes one problem.

I don't have mine cutting off falls. Maybe you can get that fixed before I need it. lol
    Kenneth

Alan...
    Can you post the following:
    Cut width of dados (top and bottom, if different)
    Depth of dado
    Design width and depth of dado from eCabs nested sheets
    Thickness of tenon
    mtl thickness and tenon %

What is your fit clearance for dados?

Did you watch section on parts audit? This will help you chase down ill fitting parts.
    Gary Campbell
    GCnC Control
    GCnC411(at)gmail(dot)com
    Servo Controller Upgrades
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1

"We can not solve our problems with the same level of thinking that created them"
    Albert Einstein

Well Gary I tried to get the info you wanted however ecabinets will not open the job. I set up the link using your settings. Dado depth .375, depth clearance .02, fit clearance .01. I cut the first cabinet. In ecabinets I changed the placement of the tenon from 1 to .875 and in the link I changed my .25 bit (pocket bit) max pentration from .8 to .25 and added a clean up amount of .02.When I made the changes in ecabinets and the link is when the link stoped working. Shopbot tech says it's a Thermwood problem. Still waitting to hear from Thermwood.
    Thanks

Alan....
    On your next job, do an audit of the dado sizes and depths as cut versus as designed. Each of these machines have their own personality as far as cut tolerance and variations go.

Remove the cleanup amount and air cut the same file and see if it changes anything.
    Gary Campbell
    GCnC Control
    GCnC411(at)gmail(dot)com
    Servo Controller Upgrades
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1

"We can not solve our problems with the same level of thinking that created them"
    Albert Einstein