Thread: Can I use this to coat foam?

Default Can I use this to coat foam?

looking at a large letter job 17 sheets of foam. the cost difference between hdu and blue or pink foam is huge. I don't think I could finish the letters I don't have the space or the ventilation. I have a good paint shop but he won't spray two part finishes. but he recommended pitt tech dtm
    it is a Pittsburgh paint direct to metal. he said the stuff is super hard. So I am thinking of a few coats of kilz and then the paint. this would only cost about 1500.00

Default Dtm

Steve,
    According to this web page- http://www.ppg.com/coatings/pmc/hpc/...s/pitttech.pdf the Pitt dtm product is a 100% waterborne acrylic ! If so then you should only need something to smooth the surface of your styrofoam letters before applying it. Please keep us posted on the results...
    "Share your knowledge. It is a way to achieve immortality"...The Dalai Lama

"Nothing is really work unless you would rather be doing something else....." Sir James Barrie

See I learned from the get together. this would save 4000.00 over hdu

Steve,

I have frequently posted on this topic. One of my favorite top coats for foam is a texture coating made by ICI. It comes in five gallon units and they mix in the color. The reason we're sold on this product it goes on fast. No messing around!

The application goes on with a hopper gun. Our favorite gun comes from Harbor Freight for $19 but if you find a painter who does ceilings, I bet he's jump at the work.

I'm fond of PPG's DTM too because it's tough. But it's very flexable and will take lots of coats. It's one of the most expensive latex paints but can't be beat in the right situation.

Joe crumley

I found ici paints but can't find where to find them. sherwin williams may carry it. looks like miller locally bought two of the stores so they may have it.

Steve,

That's right. ICI is a manufacturer and their products are carried by several paint stores like Delux, or Glidden. There may be other texturing materials which are just a good. The reason I ended up with this product was to harden off the surface of the foam.

In the past I have rolled on a couple of coats of epoxy and finished off with the sand texture from ICI. When a sign is at ground level, you need all the protection possible. Letters that are up off the ground can be hoppered.

Joe Crumley

I will hunt around for it.
    I have another project that I will be recommending this method for. it is big cutouts of leaves and such hung on the wall of a church. to save money they want to be able to paint each side differently and be able to flip them. They will be hung on some type of wire mesh and I need a simple way to hang them that allows them to be flipped.

Thanks again for all the help.