Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Medicine Ball Rack ideas?

Default Medicine Ball Rack ideas?

You guys may remember the Plybo Boxes, see Show and Tell. Those have done very well and I have a repeat customer. I'm also making risers for them that boost the box height by 4" or 8". If you have a school nearby (especially a private school) it's not a bad gig. Remember http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/mes...tml?1211823722

They have asked me for a Medicine Ball Rack. So far I've not hit on any ingeneous ideas. If someone has some ideas and would be willing to share them I'll make the final design public domain if it is successful.

They want something that will fit nicely into a corner and hold 6 to 8 balls. It should be "light" in appearance i.e. not a full cabinet system but something with minimal appearance. It should not have "eye pokers" on it, you'll understand when you see some of the links below. It can be secured to the wall.

The balls range from about 13" to 15" in diameter (I think 14" is an official size) and from 4 to 15 lbs.

Equiped with eye pokers or not corner friendly.
    http://www.lifestylesport.com/medicine_ball_racks.htm

Again, eye pokers and not corner friendly
    http://www.performbetter.com/SearchR...tegoryID_E_378

Don't spend too much effort, I'm just fishing for ideas I can sketch and present. In the end they'll probably purchase 4 of these and the budget is in the $100 to $200 range. That means simple is the key.

They are trying to avoid the "eye pokers" in the design since these are close to the exercise floor.

/RB

How about stack of small square shelves with holes cutout in center for balls to sit in. Legs attached at each corner either straight up or prettier would be tapering toward the top - kind like a big cd tower or pyramid.

How about something like this?

33336.jpg
    33337.jpg

How about a coke can dispenser type, although with six balls on top the bottom one would be stuck there :-(

How about lazy susan style with 2 tiers.
    3 or 4 ball bearing rollers maybe would support the table. I saw them on woodcraft web site.
    (Ball Bearing Work Rollers)

If you will excuse the very poor artwork how about something like this? The angle at the bottom would help to keep the balls from sticking together. Russ
    33363.jpg

Interesting ideas all....

I don't know if the bottom ball would come out of any type of feed system with 80 to 90 lbs on top of it... that's a lot of weight. For basketballs though... great idea.

A lazy susan system would probably break the budget.

I like what Rodney has drawn... I'm thinking 2 balls wide instead of 3 and as narrow/thin as possible with it anchored to the wall. Not glamorous but it is simple. I might even be able to cut the sides and cut holes then feed conduit through for the supports...

/RB

lazy susan...would 7 bux break the budget?

http://www.sciplus.com/singleItem.cfm/terms/1058

John

I admit, that's less than half what I've seen them for... have to factor in the labor and build but that's closer to budget.

/RB

Ron I was going to use this design to make planter racks for my wife. the design might work well for you because if you use two parts it will fit in a corner... three on a wall and all four it will stand in the middle of the room.

Erik
    Ball Rack

ball rack.dxf (35.4 k)