Thread: Spindle Power Requirements Needed

Default Spindle Power Requirements Needed

I have a PRT Alpha with a router and I want to upgrade to a spindle. I'm looking to get the Colombo 5HP but I'm not sure my electrical can handle it. I am having a 100 amp subpanel installed in my shop. In addition to the Shopbot controller and computer, I will have a 21 amp 220V dust collection system and a Fein vacuum.

I'm confused because I looked at the power requirements pdf:
    http://www.shopbottools.com/files/do...haPowerReq.pdf
    from Shopbot and it says the the 5HP spindle needs a 220V 90 amp circuit (single phase) and the controller needs a 110V 30 amp circuit.

Then I called Shopbot and asked and they said I needed 220V 24 amps for the spindle and 110V 20 amps for the controller.

Can anyone let me know which is correct. I want to be sure before I call the electrician.

What you got on the phone is correct. A 100amp sub will be more than sufficient. My 80 amp sub runs spindle, Delta controller, SB controller and computer, Vac hold down, Edgebander and dust vac. Never had a problem. Just never turned all on in the same instant!!

, Friday Harbor, San Juan Islands Washington

I may be wrong but I read the requirements for the Colombo spindle 5hp to be 34 amps. I know I was required to have my 4hp HSD on a 40 amp circuit.

You are right Darryl. I just checked my panel at the shop and I have VFD on a 40Amp breaker. My VFD (Delta for 5HP Columbo) is wired single Phase as I believe Ken's is.

Smile Spindle Power Requirements Needed

I think if you guys with a spindle will put a amp probe on the power going to the inverter you might find that it is pulling way less than you think. Your inverter is changing 60hz to 300 or 400hz. My 4hp HSD pulls 1amp per line at the panel. And with the soft start you don't have to worry about starting surge.
    Thanks
    Don Clifton

, Friday Harbor, San Juan Islands Washington

My name plate on my HSD states it draws 13 amps. You would then have to add in what the inverter draws to really come up with a figure what is accurately needed as far as a circuit for protection. I also know that the specs given by Shopbot would be what a total is when the machine is driven at full speed and a not so sharp of a bit. Lets face it there is a "cushion of safety" in the needed specs given by any company to protect themselves.

First off a Columbo 5HP is not an HSD 4 and may vary in factory specs. Every piece of equipment in my shop has a breaker amp spec'd requirement higher than the actual normal draw. I also know that if the worst case scenario happens and I have a low rated breaker or overloaded panel (IOW not to code) and this comes out in the resulting official investigation then there is a darned good chance that the insurance company that I have been paying for years will treat me like a stranger.
    I'll stick to manufacturer's "suggested" amp breaker and will only recommend that all others do the same.