Thread: New to Site

Default New to Site

Hello everyone, my name is Chuck and I'm new to this site. I have a 5'x10' CNC router and Vectic V-Carve software. Unfortunitly my router is not a ShotBot so I hope I'll still be welcome to post projects and ask questions.

I originally bought my CNC to enhance my cabinet business, but the poor economy and health problems forced us to close the business a year ago and move everything home. So currently my machine is sitting idle waiting for me to start making things again. Thus my first question.

I have designed a "Vacuum Hold Down Riser" for cutting small parts. It has a19" x 25" surface area for holding 18" x 24" material and is 5" high. I'm ready to cut the parts out but I'm not sure what material to use. I was going to make it out of MDF and seal it, but after reading several posts on this site I'm not sure. I want to put a spoil board on top of the riser so I don't cut into the vacuum area. Should I use 3/4" material or 1/4". MDF, LDF, Trupan?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I look forword to hearing from everyone.

Thanks, Chuck

If it was me I would not make it out of mdf. The reason we use mdf for spoilboards and vacumn tables is its pourous nature and regardless of how much you seal it, i don't think it would be as stable as other material.

Others may have differing opinions but i would try using something more in the corian/plastic family that won't allow leakage.

Hello Chuck- those of us who use CNC find any CNC experience is helpful. You well may know tricks the Bot community would love to learn.

I am curious why you would give up 5" Z height for a vacuum fixture?

I have made several small vacuum "sub tables" from HDPE or Plywood, and they are never more than 1" thick before the spoilboard.

I use Trupan for a spoilboard for vacuum, and MDF for mechanical hold down.

Jack is giving good advise on the MDF, its like window screen when it comes to solid. Not. Plywood can be air tight, get high quality non-chinese plywood. A coat of epoxy or other finish will guarantee it.

Good luck with both your health and your business.

D
    "The best thing about building something new is either you succeed or learn something. Its a win-win situation."

--Greg Westbrook

Chuck,

Jack has the ideal material for this jig. But if your like me, and never have worked with the stuff, I wouldn't know where to obtain it with out asking some of the friendly folks on here.

On the flip side if you don't want to spend any money on material making it, and only need it for a few parts, then mdf will work. Especially if you have what you need for material laying around and want to use it up. You do need to prep it though. I would use either lacquer (several coats) or shellac (your able to brush it). Both of these dry very quickly. Keep applying the coats until all surfaces are sealed good.

I too am curious on the height being 5". Is it an odd shaped part?

If you only need minimum clearance you could also use say 1/4" acrylic (plexi-glass) available at your local hardware store. I have used this and birch plywood as Dana sugested with success. Whenever I have used mdf, it was gasket-ed and used as a spoil board with lots of vacuum.
    Good luck!
    Sincerely,
    Ben Nellenback
    www.stairsmiths.com

"Bodily decay is gloomy in prospect, but of all human contemplations the most abhorrent is body without mind."
    Thomas Jefferson

I have a 60x96 Alpha and a 4-zone vacuum plenum made from 2 sheets of baltic birch laminated together. The spoil board is a 1/2" sheet of Trupan (now about 1/4" thick) with a second sheet of Trupan glued to it around the edges and a few strategic spots in the middle to eliminate the board from cupping.

When doing small parts, I've cut a sheet of MDO (paper both sides) that covers 1 complete zone on the table and then fasten the material to that board and use the vacuum to hold the MDO. When I get enough holes in the MDO, I simply replace it. Cost effective and with the paper it seals really well. Yes, it does decrease my Z but it works well and is inexpensive.
    Don
    Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
    www.dlwoodworks.com
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece; But to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, bank accounts empty, credit cards maxed out, defiantly shouting "Geronimo"!

If you make something idiot proof, all they do is create a better idiot.

First let me welcome you to our little neck of the web Chuck. Sorry to hear some health issues. Yes the economy sucks and has affected even some the best businesses that have been around for generations. I do not use vacuum so I will let others help you there. Don't be afraid to ask questions and submit your experiences with others. The only bad question is the one not asked.

Hey Jack....come on you didn't even welcome the man.
    Kidding...
    Have a good one all.

Thanks for the responses, maybe a little more explanation of the parts I'm wanting to make will help.

Not being able to work full time anymore I wanted to start making items for the large scale model railroading hobby which I have been a dealer for the last 20 years. Its a great way to keep my mind going in the right direction and of course finish paying for my machine.

Basically the smaller parts are being made out of .080 styrene and 1/8" birch plywood. They will be kits for constructing different types of rolling stock, cabs for locomotives, and buildings. The larger parts I can screw or brad down to my existing spoil board, but the smaller parts would work better on the vacuum riser. 5" height is really no big deal as I have 12" of travel on my "Z" axis and I'm using a small v-bit or a 1/8" dia straight bit. The riser will attach to my existing spoil board with clamps and allow me to remove it when I cut larger sheets.

I like the idea of making the vacuum chamber out of plywood, I have lots of 3/4" cabinet grade plywood left over from my business.

That should I use for the spoil board? Should I attach it to the vacumm chamber with glue or silicone?

I hope this helps.
    Chuck

Chuck,
    The guy you need to make contact with is Russ Wood. He has made some of the coolest projects for large scale model railroads i've seen. I think i may take that hobby up when I get to be as OLD as him...but i have a good 20 years to go before i get there since i'm only in my late 50's. lol.

If you look on ebay you can find 12"x12" pieces of corian for about $2.00/ea. Last I bought was $1.00/ea. For that matter you could probably find a vacumn jig already made up. I thought that Russ Todd at widgetworks.com had a jig he sold but looked and couldn't find it on his site or would have recommended him.

Hey Jack,

What do you mean wait another 20 years, I'm in my mid 50's and enjoy every minute of it. Jump in and have some fun. As I start completing some of my projects I'll be taking picture of the pieces on my outdoor layout.

Thanks for the info.

Chuck