Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CNC Operator Rates

Yeah... but I'm guessing it's not raining and overcast in Barbados right about now.

Quote Originally Posted by SomeSailor View Post
    Yeah... but I'm guessing it's not raining and overcast in Barbados right about now.
    Bad timing, dude!

Right now it is chucking down, as our first real Tropical Wave of the rainy season is upon us.
    A birthday party we were to go to, just tonight -has been cancelled.

It does rain down here you know

(especially from this time of year until maybe end-November)

See attached photo of current weather -check the time and date-stamp

You can see the clear outline of my island, at upper right of that big white area of intense precip.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by dhunt View Post
    Thought you First Worlders might like to see what life can be like
    out here in the Third World
    when people of sub-standard standards are employed to run yer machine!

I just posted a new photo album at
    http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/album.php?albumid=40
    where you can see what was revealed
    when we removed the 'overburden' of two or three sheets of 0.5 in. ply
    that El Cubano had nailed down to the table, serving as temporary spoilboards..
    That's a new one...... Trying to figure out an explanation for that is beyond me. I thought I abused my spoil board.
    Michael Schwartz - Waitsfield VT
    Shopbot prs standard 48x96. Aspire. SB Link.

Wink Biggest problem in the 3rd. World is acceptance of low standards as routine stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by michael_schwartz View Post
    That's a new one......
    Trying to figure out an explanation for that is beyond me. I thought I abused my spoil board.
    Naaah...you're a mere beginner!

We're trying to figure out how anyone could see a mistake plunge
    -too deep by about 1 whole inch
    let it progress to completion
    and then press on regardless with the same spoilboard.

We're guessing he simply plunked a sheet of 1/2 inch ply on top of it to cover up the wound
    and 'life continues'.

Presumably all the dust and chips and misc. muck we found in the vac.plenum
    just crept in there afterwards?

Quote Originally Posted by dhunt View Post
    We're trying to figure out how anyone could see a mistake plunge
    -too deep by about 1 whole inch
    let it progress to completion
    and then press on regardless with the same spoilboard.
    The answer is because nobody cares. Plain & simple.

Why do you put up with this & accept it as 'just the way it is in the tropix' etc? If that was my equipment, that person would be banned from ever using it again because it clearly demonstrates that they don't give a ****. When you are that careless, you put yourself, others and the shop itself at risk. Can the business afford to have someone get hurt from carelessness? Is your fire insurance up to date?

If the talent you require is not available, then you must train & groom the right kind of person to run the machine. They should be honored and excited to learn about CNC and realize what an amazing opportunity it would be. Regardless of pay scale, geographical location etc, the person should be enthused. If they are not, then you will pay a price greater than their low hourly wage. I have been around the world to hundreds of shops and have seen what you describe many, many times...plus sabotage and all other fun stuff. You need to get the right person in there.

You must not let poverty thinking and cognitive dissonance shape your beliefs about the kind of operator that is available because you are 'in da tropix'. You are probably not going to find exactly what you need via want ads or the usual channels. You must create the ideal operator yourself through training and careful judge of character.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

Default Poverty thinking

Not sure that is it. the reality of the situation is that in Third world environments, everything is relevant. You don't have high dollar wages because the people cannot afford to pay high dollar for the end product. Generally you look for a worker and you get some guy come in and claims to know everything. Or they work hard to learn then the minute you turn your back, they slack off the standards etc. It comes down to thinking about why you bought CNC in the first place. I bought mine to make MY work more productive and certain processes repeatable. Not someone elses. I can do more work, make more product, be more accurate etc. But notice I said "I". I can't produce the same amount of work a large shop can put out, but I can control the quality of MY work, and I can make sure that I am paid a FAIR price for that quality. Generally, I am commissioned and get a large sum up front for my work, so the risk is lower. If you want a production shop, then the rules change. And the quality is usually the first to go. Big decision to make... Quantity over Quality. It is a very hard choice.

Default Most Third World locals simply don't care!

Quote Originally Posted by dragginbutt View Post
    Not sure that is it.

the reality of the situation is that in Third world environments, everything is relevant.
    You don't have high dollar wages because the people cannot afford to pay high dollar for the end product.
    Generally you look for a worker, and you get some guy come in and claims to know everything.
    Or they work hard to learn, then the minute you turn your back, they slack off the standards etc.
    Nice to see some reality.

Oh Ye from The Greate Frozen Northe have little idea what it's like down here.

Most of you wouldn't last two years,down here -not in Business!
    How so? Frustrations with Labor, local red tape,etc.

It's not all "fantastic climate" and beaches, you know..
    You might stay here for the climate...but the local work ethic?
    -and "standards?

The guy I work for is an American
    but he's been out here in the Third World, longer than he's lived Stateside
    so he's considerably acclimated to local conditions.

Over the decades he has weeded out A Few Good Men
    and so manages to maintain standards above other local manufacturing outfits

But even so, it's a daily battle! You should talk to him sometime.
    Plus....right now the local economy sucks, manufacturing-wise.

David,

"Thought better" about the nature of the post and removed it... It wasn't unpleasant. Just unecessary.

Monty

I think the issues you have there are the same we all have. As a business owner, it is difficult to find someone with the same passion and integrity you bring to your business. I believe it rare to find someone that can step in and carry out your vision consistantly. This is one reason I work alone. I don't do high production runs. And my customers generally are willing to wait for a job well done. I don't employ my 2 sons either. Both are competent, but we don't always see eye to eye on how I want things done. Makes it possible to sit at the same table at holidays... And keeps the wife happy