Thread: Well Hello All - & a vacuum question

Default Well Hello All - & a vacuum question

Greeting to all. I've been away for a while. I finally got my Rotary & vacuum hooked up. By the sound of it there should be seagulls stuck to my roof, but I noticed the part pictured was leaking. I thought it was a safety valve that would open in the event of overpressure, but it seems to be stuck open? Happy thanksgiving all btw - Neville PS the vacuum gauge that should be on the other end of that assembly was broken so I just plugged it for testing - I lost the original, anyone know what I should get & from where?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Neville,
    I got mine from Grainger. The sources i know of would be them MSC, and McMastercar. I have one that is oil filed, though I don't think its needed. You want a vacuum gauge (obviously) that reads in -Hg. (inches of mercury) you want -30hHg capable.

You have to register your business with Granger (I Think) MSC usually has better pricing and last I knew you automatically get a $1,000.00 line of credit with them if you set up under a business name. That's how it was several years ago we me anyway.

Hear is a link to one I found for $10.00 from Grainger. (just to give you an idea of what your looking for.)

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/Com...MC2?Pid=search
    Sincerely,
    Ben Nellenback
    www.stairsmiths.com

"Bodily decay is gloomy in prospect, but of all human contemplations the most abhorrent is body without mind."
    Thomas Jefferson

Hey Nev,

Are you are saying the chrome part in your photo seems to be leaking? That is a vacuum relief valve which is supposed to open when the vacuum gets too large. This valve prevents the vacuum pump from overheating due to too little flow. If the valve is still open when you shut the pump down then it may be damaged, or it may simply have debris stuck in it. I have a separate filter on my vacuum relief valve so dirt won't get into it.
    Harold

Let me DROP EVERYTHING and work on YOUR job!!

Thats what it was Harold. I opened it up and it had a few wood chips preventing it from reseating ( much like a thermostat on a car). Cleaned those out and Bobs your uncle. I do have a filter but its after the valve and before the pump. I'll think if I should replumb it or just be aware of it. All this sat for a while so no telling what got int & how, but all is good now, RPC & 15 HP vac are humming away. Thanks for the pointers Harold & Ben, and Happy TG to all the old and new friends on the forum. Neville