Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cutting is off

Default Cutting is off

So I measured a few peices cut on the bot using partworks that where short by 1/16" in the x axis. The y axis is cutting to the exact specified measurement. These files where Turbo cad files saved as DXF then opened for toolpathing in partworks. Does anyone have an idea what could be going here?

probably something to do with the dxf from turbo cad

Why don't you just draw it in Part works?

You may check your unit values,... type VU with the software open.

The values for x and y normally are the same. It would be good to double check it though.
    Kenneth

I agree with Kenneth. Draw a couple of squares, circles and triangles in Partworks. Cut and measure them. I had a customer send me a DXF file that he created in a lesser known CAD program. All the measurement were off by an 1/8" when I got them. We went back and forward until he imported the DXF back into the CAD program and it was off 1/8" there too.

Andy B.

Thanks guys.

Ken- I will check the unit values. I can draw a lot faster in turbo cad and part works can be time consuming when it comes to trimming lines.

Andy- What is the difference between dxf and eps? Is there a rule of when to use one over an another? Do you know what your client did to inprove the file? Did he just enlarge the drawing by an 1/8"? Is it not strange that the difference is just in one direction?

What version of PartWorks are you using?

The latest has the scissors tool which makes trimming vectors easier than any other package I've used.

I always ask for EPS files whenever possible. I seem to have a lot less hassle with them compared to DXF files and anything with curves seems to be a lot nicer in EPS.

This does not sound like a partworks problem, although it could be. If the dimensions of the imported drawing are wrong, then I retract the previous statement.

If the CUT size is wrong, it is more likely unit values are wrong in the X axis. Check there first, especially if Y axis is within tolerance.

D
    "The best thing about building something new is either you succeed or learn something. Its a win-win situation."

--Greg Westbrook

It could also be that you are cutting the parts too quickly causing the tool to deflect.

Try cutting a square using CLIMB direction. Then cut the same size CONVENTIONAL direction.

See if there is a difference in size.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

I checked the unit values and they are identical. I have not yet tried cutting a square in climb/conventional. I am using a Centurion .25 compression bit @ 3ips, 10k rpm, .375 cut per pass in maple ply. I think I can cut faster than this but have avoided it primary to prevent any deflection. Assuming that I fall short with these tests what else can I look for?

John,
    My customer updated the program. There was a bug in the export filter.

Andy B.

Andy....
    Thanks for posting your findings. Many do not. This allows others in the future to have a possible solution to a similar problem.
    Gary Campbell
    GCnC Control
    GCnC411(at)gmail(dot)com
    Servo Controller Upgrades
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1

"We can not solve our problems with the same level of thinking that created them"
    Albert Einstein