Thread: Anyone explain this?

Default Anyone explain this?

Had a simple little cutting job into some door slabs. Had two doors that had identical tool pathing on their fronts. They also had identical (though different from the fronts) tool pathing on the back. There was 4 total tool path files created. Door 1 front, back. Door 2 front back.

Ran the first slab's front and back. Ran the second slab's front.
    Ran the back and the PW code had an extra Z move at the end!

Material was 1.375" thick. Safe z was 1.575". Code viewed in editor shows it pulling the z up to the 1.575". There is then a JZ 1.2" line followed by a J2 0,0. END. Why the extra move down to 1.20" before the jog to home?

I would like to know what went wrong to avoid having the same thing happen in the future. Now a little job that was going to make a little money is going to end up costing me.

SB doesn't have any readily understood answer except, perhaps, something was saved wrong or called something else.

SB had me open the file up in PW and re-save it with a different file name. After ward it was viewed in editor and the problem Z move line of code was gone.

O.K. but what caused it in the first place?
    Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Tim
    Attached Images Attached Images

I've attached the two tool path files. Both were saved in sb(Inch) post.
    The one titled ' 30 wide back' is the file that was run off on the machine and spoiled the door slab.
    The second one was re-saved and checked in editor for the offending Z move at the end of the cutting file.

The only difference that I could find between the 2 files was in line 10.

The first file that was ran has a home Z of 1.2". This must be where the last Z move comes from at the end of the cutting file.

The resaved file called '30 wide back 2' shows a home position of 1.575" in line 10.

Both files would appear to be identical in the first 12 lines with the exception of line 10.

Would anyone know where the value for the home Z position in line 10 is derived from in partworks? Would anyone know how this issue of home Z of 1.2" for a material that was 1.375" thick be avoided?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Tim
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tim,

The home position is set under "Material Setup" as shown in the screen snip.

Is it possible that somewhere along the line you may have changed this or changed the zzero location between saves?

Scott
    Attached Images Attached Images

Scott,

I'm not sure but will check it and see (I'm away from the shop and making much more predictable cranberry sauce
    The weird thing was that each of the 4 tool paths was created from the same materials and tool path set up. I simply erased the previous drawing and tool path but keep the material and tool path set up unchanged.
    I'lll look at the tool path setup and see what was going on there. Hopefully I'll learn what was done wrong and learn to avoid it in the future.

Thanks much,
    Tim