Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: X/Y Motors Stalling

John

Its your speed I had the same thing .I got rid of the hub thinking a direct line was better wrong I had scores of 67 with made all kinds of sounds that you think its mecchanical. Now with the hub i get 77 the machine is smoth also i disable antivirus when running the shpobot its senestive .

Also go in search type msconfig GET RID OF ALL BACKGROUND PROGRAMS LIKE ADOBE UPDATE.If I'am not clear you can find on line how to do it .Also a lap top runs the shopbot slow even with 4 gig of ram I tried both

A comm speed of 66 is too low for PRS. Now that we know you are square and generally well adjusted it is clear that that is the issue. It needs to be over 75. When I rebuilt my PRT to PRS gantry and rails I had the same issue and the hub and high speed adapter fixed it. Got them in from Amazon or Tiger Direct for a total of like 50 bucks and have run smooth since with jog at 8ips.

$50 says control computer is a Dell.

There are (at least to me, as I believe in Brady) KNOWN ISSUES with DELL Computers that have NOT had a USB2 PCI card installed.

(disclaimer) This is not to say that this would be the one fix for all woes. USB2 PCI cards are an inexpensive test.
    Gary Campbell
    GCnC Control
    GCnC411(at)gmail(dot)com
    Servo Controller Upgrades
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1

"We can not solve our problems with the same level of thinking that created them"
    Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by gc3 View Post
    computer problem...RAM = jog speed
    computer problem...

time to upgrade regardless of your current RAM
    Vector Studio 22

I don't want to start a fight with Gary, but my PRS runs on a Dell without any problems.

I bought it new 2 years ago. It was the cheapest Dell desktop offered by Best Buy at the time. My Comm speed is over 75 and I haven't installed any special port cards, etc.

I may just be lucky with my situation, so I would follow all the advice offered above... Just thought that I should add my experience to the general pool of knowledge.

Mine runs on a dell too. After upgrading the ram (thanks Gary) All has been good. 83% speed test with a hub.
    Kenneth

Kenneth, Russ...
    I didnt say that they all have the problem. But since I have read Johns problem, I STILL have the finn on it. At least untill John says different.
    Gary Campbell
    GCnC Control
    GCnC411(at)gmail(dot)com

"We can not solve our problems with the same level of thinking that created them"
    Albert Einstein

Yeah, yeah...
    Dell it is. Though in their defense, I also have a Dell laptop (the one I use for ArtCAM, etc.) set up so I can run the 'Bot in a pinch, and it works flawlessly. I'd use it all the time if I didn't need it for a whole host of other activities too.

I ran Memtest today (twice... on both computers) and am happy to report that there were no errors on either.

I'm currently searching for a USB 2.0 PCI card with the physical dimensions small enough to fit an Optiplex 760 (small form factor). The specs from Dell describe the expansion slots as 1 low-profile PCIe x 16 and 1 low-profile PCI. The outside dimension of the Chassis is 3.65" high, so the card would have to be smaller than that. Any suggestions?

John...
    Try this or search your favorite site for "low profile usb card". Most of the online retailers have a dozen of these shorty cards. I would a couple extra $ for Belkin brand

http://www.mwave.com/mwave/skusearch...e=STARTECH.COM 2-port USB 2.0 pci low profile card
    Gary Campbell
    GCnC Control
    GCnC411(at)gmail(dot)com

Albert Einstein

So I got a Belkin PCI card and installed it today.
    Speed test? Still in the mid 60's.

Here's how I had it hooked up:
    • SB/Serial bridge connected to external USB 2.0 hub
    • External USB hub connected to new PCI USB 2.0 card
    Since I wasn't sure if the PCI should replace the hub, I tried a direct connection from SB/Serial bridge to new PCI USB card.
    Speed test? Up slightly. 69.3% (But still well below the 75-85% that others are reporting.)

Oh, and along the way, there was a blue screen of death and later a notice from Microsoft that driver conflicts are causing stop crashes.

I've looked at ShopBot's USBview.exe diagnostic, but don't know enough to figure out what it might be telling me.

I'll keep posting as "progress" is made.