Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: X/Y Motors Stalling

O am running an old pentium 4 as my Shopbot control computer I has 2 gigs of ram and is pretty much stripped of all other software. I can push it to 8 IPS to surface my table.

I don't offer this as advise but i had a lot of fustration with slow computers on my alpha .When it happens you think mechanical

This is agood topic

John,
    I have a Dell GX270 running my bot. One other thing you might want to try is to update the BIOS on the PC. Dell has had several little problem that updating the BIOS has fix. They are notorious for USB issue. I think it was mentioned somewhere before a few years back that someone resolved their movement issues by update the BIOS. It increased their score by about 5-6 precentage points if I remember right.

Hope this helps.

Andy B.

Quote Originally Posted by jdervin View Post
    An update:
    Just spoke with Ryan at ShopBot. He felt that my 69% speed test scores were fine and not indicative of whatever may be causing the X/Y stalling issue. He thinks it's directly related to my jogging the Standard at 6ips despite this being a relatively recent problem for me (I've been jogging at 6ips, problem free, for close to a year now). I asked him about the higher jog rates that other Standard users have been reporting and he felt that they were possible, but not the norm.

Ryan also wants me to drop the motors and test for freedom of movement, which is what I'll do next, but I still find it difficult to believe that both the X and Y rails would develop the same mechanical problem on the same day at the same time.

As to my in house IT people, they're being sluggish in responding, so that avenue hasn't been explored yet. Maybe I should have my wife make them one of her rasberry pies so I can get on their "preferred treatment" list.
    ...wow 6ips on your machine....and shopbot thinks thats the problem?

on my vintage pr using a prt control box I can jog xy 6ips/ z 3 ips with no problem....after updating the control computer. i know there is a huge difference in the machines but you should be able to jog at the max speed of your software....if not then why does shopbot use those parameters?

heck I have even cut cabinet parts running x y at 6ips and z 3ips with no lost steps....

upgrade your control computer and you will be running fine.
    Vector Studio 22

http://www.tigerdirect.com/sectors/c.../evgaStore.asp

Thats the parts I would use to build my next computer .I've been building computers since 1992

The other computers can run a alpha but barely

I would agree with Gene toss the computer

Got to say I disagree completely.

My Alpha runs perfectly happy on a 1gb machine with an Intel Celeron processor and a built-in graphics card. Runs all day every day without a hitch.

Quote Originally Posted by kevin View Post
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/sectors/c.../evgaStore.asp

Thats the parts I would use to build my next computer .I've been building computers since 1992

The other computers can run a alpha but barely

I would agree with Gene toss the computer

What other apps are on these computers that can barely run your Alpha. I would say that there is something running or trying to run in the back round.

Jerry
    At first I was what ever the computer turns on .

But after a couple of lost comcation erors

One problem was moister on a terminal i WAS THINKING OF PUTTING A BAG OF SEILCA IN THE CONTROL BOX

I'am pretty anal about things running in the background msconfig aleast once a week .

The alpha are very senistive when running at full speed.I run mine at 12in cabinet parts pro
    My point is rule out the computer then if you have a problem with the cnc you can rule out the computer. Go from there
    Most of us have to sevice it by are selfs