Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Breaking Bits After an "S" stop and "R" resume

Default Breaking Bits After an "S" stop and "R" resume

The problem that I am having has happened before using the "S" and "R" keyboard commands.

I often use Aspire V2 to create "peck" holes for cabinet shelves.

I have stopped the peck drilling program using the "S" soft stop command with disasterous results after starting again.

The procedure:

1. To resume, I use the "R" resume command.

2. This is when the problem occurs. The machine tries to move to the correct depth WHILE STILL MOVING IN THE X and Y Position. It should move to it's new position first (ie moving in the X&Y only) before drilling the peck hole. The result is a broken bit and damaged cabinet.

What is going on?

Has this problem happened to others out there? I would like a solution since I often use the "S" stop and "R" resume keyboard commands.

Thanks
    Tom

The resume button should not be there.

They should say (quit) and (destroy work) instead of resume. Foolishly I tried it yesterday and it lost z position and resumed without starting the spindle. Another broken bit.

Please report it to shopbot, but from what I can tell this is normal. It will not resume on my machine with success and several othres that I know of.
    Last edited by ken_rychlik; 12-14-2010 at 05:43 PM. Reason: content
    Kenneth

This is just a guess but it sounds as though the software thinks it has completed the last hole and is 'resuming' at the next hole. A suggestion would be to use the variation of the resume command where you specify the line number to resume at. Insert the line number for the hole where you stopped. The line number should be just a few less than what is displayed when you hit the 'S'. Just a thought. Try a simple test without the bit in and see what happens. Russ

Russ, it used to resume fine with the 3.5.xx sb3 software, but not anymore. Which version are you running?
    Kenneth

I've found that-at times- upon "Resume" the feed rate slows to a craw
    http://www.WoodworkingByErminio.com

Custom Cabinetry, Furniture ,CNC Services
    Email:Wberminio@msn.com
    914-666-8746 Shop/Office

I've never had ANY luck with the stop, pause or resume feature. I've broken a lot of bits doing what Shopbot told me to do (to bad I can't bill them). I've found that the safest, but not the most time saving thing to do, is start the file over from the beginning. Then I know I'm safe. If the material hasn't moved on the table, you should be ok.
    Don
    Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
    www.dlwoodworks.com
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece; But to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, bank accounts empty, credit cards maxed out, defiantly shouting "Geronimo"!

If you make something idiot proof, all they do is create a better idiot.

I use the E stop or the stop by hitting the enter key and then can restart with no problems all the time also before it starts it asks if the spindle is on.

the enter key is not is not but it does seem to work. when I first got my bot hitting the space bar wouls cause those issues so I got in the habit of hitting enter. though sometimes it is not fast enough. I have ad the slow thing happen before too.

I get the slow move speed thing consistently if I stop and resume in a 'complex' command like CR.

I do stop and change speeds then resume pretty often with no ill effects.
    Ken Zey
    Lookout Mercantile / Digital Millwork
    Rogers, AR
    www.CedarSlabSigns.com
    www.lookoutmercantile.com
    www.digitalmillwork.com

6x12 PRS alpha

I assume (hope) that Shopbot is monitoring this thread. It is an extremely important problem since we should always have the ability to control the machine in a safe manner. I do not have the time to call Shopbot and I am frankly shocked that this problem is happening in the software.

There should be an easy fix for the Shopbot programmers to add the appropriate "conditional statements" in the code when using the "S" and "R" commands. The question is whether they will deem this problem important enough to act. But perhaps they have fixed this problem years ago and I simply haven't installed the newer version of the Shopbot control program.