Thread: edge lit signs

Default edge lit signs

I have been playing with these to get some samples in my shop and to some of the sign shops I do work for. for the most part they are pretty easy to make. I like to reverse the image so the face is uncut as someone here suggested.
    the leds are pretty cheap about 10.0 for a 20" bar and 15.00 for the power and cord. I can cut the led bars to the length I need and I can get two from one bar.
    one of the problems I have is getting the sign not to sit on the leds since they are not flat. so I found a simple way on each end drill a hole for a dowel cut them to length glue them in and the sign sits on that.
    now my one question is these are wholesale so I need to keep the pricing low. I figure about 40.00 in materials for this size and a hour of work. but I would like at least 120 and a bit more would be better. does that seem reasonable for wholesale pricing?

Steve

Is that regular Acrylic and what size?

I think 120 is a bargain. I don't think more than a few people if any make these with wood bases either. I wouldn't sell them any cheaper unless somebody wanted thousands of them.
    Michael Schwartz - Waitsfield VT
    Shopbot prs standard 48x96. Aspire. SB Link.

I thought it was regular acrylic but it has a green edge. it is cast though but I got it out of the scrap bin. the plastic is 13.5" wide.

Hi Steve, I agree with Michael that’s a bargain. Could you tell me where you are getting your lights from?

superbrightleds.com

I get my led lights from here. They are a lot cheaper. here is a litho I did with those leds. There is only 18 leds in it and it lights up very evenly. I do the same kind of edge lighting as Steve for some of my name plates but some times I put a color sheet in to change the look. I get the color sheets from work we build trade show displays and the lighting come with these sheets that they just throw out.

http://cgi.ebay.com/5m-500cm-White-S...item45f6c1c04c
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jerry_stanek; 12-17-2010 at 04:01 PM.

I have been thinking of laminating a solid color sheet and cutting through it. that way the sign would work well in daylight and night.

one of the problems I have is getting the sign not to sit on the leds since they are not flat. so I found a simple way on each end drill a hole for a dowel cut them to length glue them in and the sign sits on that.

Why not make the slot Stepped, inside, or is the entire undercarriage hogged out?

better idea though I had to do a retrofit on this one.