Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 3D table top using Aspire's distortion feature

I guess there was a big sigh of relief when the depth finally got to where the carving was filled and they could start the final coverage.

My hat's off to you sir.

Thank you for posting your skill and the results.

Joe C.

Excellent work..great details and very innovative idea This is Aspiring...
    I left woodwork due to office work.

Quote Originally Posted by srwtlc View Post
    Here's a project that features the new model distortion feature in Aspire 3.

I had a customer bring me a hickory glue-up for a round table top. The plan was to create a 3D wildlife design in a ring with some walnut inlay rings on each side. The challenge was going to be how do I get the Design & Carve mantle scenes to wrap around and look good. That's where the new model distortion feature in Aspire 3 came to the rescue. After hacking up a mantle scene to have hardwoods on each end and varying backgrounds, I was able to distort the models to fit 1/4 of the ring. After getting them in place, I put one tree at the joints to blend them together. Four different scenes were then made by adding various elements to them without distortion. There were several small animals and birds stuck here and there throughout each scene.

The roughing pass was done with a 0.25" downcut endmill in both X and Y to help remove some extra zig-zag steps around the perimeter of the rings to better clear the path for the finish tool.

Roughing pass was 3 hours and finish pass with a 0.0625" ballnose was 21 hours. A few hours for the inlay.

The customer wanted to fill it with epoxy and flood the whole surface also. I printed out Tim Merrill's glazing technique guide and they went to work on it. The finished table looked beautiful! They did an outstanding job with the glazing and epoxy. It looks as if you could reach right into it.

At first I had no idea how I was going to get the model to wrap around in a ring, but after the distortion tool became available it was much easier. Still, quite a few hours were spent getting the rest as desired.

A big thanks to the Vectric team for the work they have done with Aspire and also for VectorArt 3D and the Design & Carve Wildlife series.

Scott

Very Impressive!

Scott,

That is one VERY impressive table. Your skill with Aspire is commendable and admirable. I wish I knew Aspire like you do.

Great job!!!!!
    Don
    Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
    www.dlwoodworks.com
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece; But to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, bank accounts empty, credit cards maxed out, defiantly shouting "Geronimo"!

If you make something idiot proof, all they do is create a better idiot.

Thanks again guys, but it's not me, Aspire and the Design & Carve models make it easier. Still have a loooong ways to go to be able to design models from scratch. I live day to day mostly in the 2D realm of Aspire.

Joe, I'm not worthy, your work far surpasses what I can do. I wish you were closer, I'd love to be an apprentice for a day or two.

Khalid, you're the master of innovation! Always enjoy seeing what you come up with next.

Ok, enough horn tootin', get back to work.

Scott

Great job!

Great job Scott! That is the kind of work I really admire.

I have a nice maple slab I've been wanting to use some of the wildlife scenes on, thanks for the inspiration.

D.
    Darren Tojcic

It's stuff like this that sucked me into the cnc world. Beautiful stuff Scott. I could see a table like this in my Elks club, but I'm a long way from possessing your talent. Maybe someday. Your table is definitely inspiring