Thread: is onionskin possible

Default is onionskin possible

Untill now I have been drawing and toolpathing in v carve pro, cutting out parts in 2 passes of .350 and finishing the cutout with a final pass of .065. the first 2 passes are climb with the final conventional. the results are pretty good. I'm cutting on a prs standard with router, 1.8 -2 '' per second, with a .25 downcut. My question is can cabinet parts pro be set up to do the cut out this way?

Yes CabinetPartPro can be set up for this type of cut. The tool paths are set up based on layers in a dxf drawing. You will have a layer named cut by going into the settings you can add a second cut layer. You will set one cut layer for the multi pass set, depth and direction then use the second layer to cut to remove the onion skin.

Ryan ,great you are observing! Is it possible to show me with screen shots ? Basing it on a 12'' x 12'' square. If possible that would be great! Mike

Image 1 shows the setting page. With the add second layer checked. I also set the Limit first cut to -.06. This is going to set the first cut layer to cut .06 inches less than the last cut layer depth. Image 2 shows the order of the layers and shows the two cut layers. Image3 is the settings for the first cut. Notice the Depth per pass is set to .375. This will cut in two passes the first pass at .375 and the last .03 (Onion skin). The onion skin thickness is at .o3 because the limit first cut to is set to -.06 and have told the last cut to cut .03 into the spoil board. I also have the direction set to climb. Image 4 is for the final cut. The material is setup at .75 and by having the Depth per pass is set to 1 and the add to depth at .03, it will cut in one pass at to .03 into the spoil board. I also set the direction of this layer to conventional. All of this is saved as a tool path template for the next time you cut. By having this saved as a template all you would have to do for the nest job would be to click Save Tool Paths.
    1.PNG2.PNG3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg

Here is a ShopBot Part File showing the onion skin using the above settings.
    OnionSkin_1.sbp

Mike...
    You are going to enjoy doing this with CPPro much more than VCPro. Welcome to the world of nested base machining.
    Gary Campbell
    GCnC Control
    GCnC411(at)gmail(dot)com
    Servo Controller Upgrades
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1

"We can not solve our problems with the same level of thinking that created them"
    Albert Einstein

In the pictures of settings Ryan posted, I ve noticed the cut toolpaths were instucted to cut inside the line. My question origionally was about onion skin,I get that now, so was the inside the line toolpath on a cutout an oversight? Also would the tennons and the pocket toolpaths be an inside the line operation? My limited experience with partworks has me thinking outside the line on a cut{in this case anyway}, and inside on a pocket or a groove. I have run a file in the preview mode, but I can't tell by watching if things are being cut the way I want, or the way I told it to! Which are both suposed to be the same thing idealy ....Mike

Default buy it

we have been using CCP for about a year and a half. for the money you cant beat it for cabinets. Ryan is quite responsive to all questions. once you cut a few boxes you can tweek the program to your liking.we dont onion skin we use vac hold down . the only time we get onion skin is when I dont enter the right thickness for the plywood.

Mike...
    I think Ryan simply checked the wrong box. You are correct, for both the Cut & C2% Layers Outside should be checked.

Most dados will be a pocket rather than an inside profile. This a a function of bit dia. vs plywood thickness. I believe that if you can use an inside profile for a side blind dado, it will cut faster.

I am not sure that CPPro outputs a reduced thickness tenon dado. Blind dados will be full material thickness, and no shoulder cuts are made. The blind or setback is fully configurable.
    Gary Campbell
    GCnC Control
    GCnC411(at)gmail(dot)com
    Servo Controller Upgrades
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1

"We can not solve our problems with the same level of thinking that created them"
    Albert Einstein

Mike,
    You and Gary are correct I should have outside checked. If you need to adjust the dado depth or any of the cuts there is a setting on the tool paths “Add to Depth”. If you do not want it to cut as deep then set this to a negative number.