Thread: A large table base

Default A large table base

I have been cutting a lot of special molding pieces for some Atlanta cabinet shops. One asked me if I could cut 2 large table bases from old heart pine. I said sure, well then it got interesting. They are 22 inches tall, but 11 1/2 wide.
    My PRS has a standard 6 inch Z so I knew I had to make some alterations to it. I used Aspire at very high resolution and some tricks that Viktor and others wrote about when there was some discussion about making corbels.
    I decided that the only way to do this job was to cut a hole in my Shopbot table between the steel supports. I attached indexing ends, made with the machine, and used a 1 inch steel bar as a support. this way the stock was only 3 inches over my table surface, and 9 inches below.
    The wood blocks with the indexing ends attached weighed just under 200 lbs each. Luckily I had left the lifting point that I installed in the ceiling beams when I assembled the Shopbot. It was the only way to handle the beams as I cut one side and then raised, rolled, indexed and cut the next side.
    I added a deep groove above and below the designed part that the shop will use to guide their cutoff.
    It has been a long 2 days, but satisfying. Tomorrow I will cut the trestle bases for these posts.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very clever
    Thats unique Oh by the way the legs look great

How many hrs all time?

Thanks for the post I'am trying to figure out my new indexing head its a little fustrating

Bob,
    That is very clever. This looks like it was a 4 sided carving? How did you get the corners and sides to match up?
    Also your blanks looked like they were cracked almost all the way thru, were you concerned that this might be a lot of work for nothing?

This is what i like, you guys put your thinking caps on and come up with solutions to lots of seemingly impossible situations to come up with great solutions. Too bad we don't have a special place to organize and put specific tips......lol Good job Bob