Thread: A large table base

Threaded View

Default A large table base

I have been cutting a lot of special molding pieces for some Atlanta cabinet shops. One asked me if I could cut 2 large table bases from old heart pine. I said sure, well then it got interesting. They are 22 inches tall, but 11 1/2 wide.
    My PRS has a standard 6 inch Z so I knew I had to make some alterations to it. I used Aspire at very high resolution and some tricks that Viktor and others wrote about when there was some discussion about making corbels.
    I decided that the only way to do this job was to cut a hole in my Shopbot table between the steel supports. I attached indexing ends, made with the machine, and used a 1 inch steel bar as a support. this way the stock was only 3 inches over my table surface, and 9 inches below.
    The wood blocks with the indexing ends attached weighed just under 200 lbs each. Luckily I had left the lifting point that I installed in the ceiling beams when I assembled the Shopbot. It was the only way to handle the beams as I cut one side and then raised, rolled, indexed and cut the next side.
    I added a deep groove above and below the designed part that the shop will use to guide their cutoff.
    It has been a long 2 days, but satisfying. Tomorrow I will cut the trestle bases for these posts.
    Attached Images Attached Images