Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Joints in Roof Rafters and Studs?

Information on the first MIT cabin can be found in the MIT Digital Design Fabrication Group at http://ddf.mit.edu/projects/CABIN/index.html. If you follow the "Full Scale Construction" link you can find the dxf files of the parts.

Thanks for the info Bill. The drawing link is 404ing but I sent the webmaster an email asking if they are still making the drawings available.

Sorry about that. It used to work...guess I should have tested it!

It's MIT, I wouldn't have tested it

Quote Originally Posted by archis View Post
    One of my WACIs (Wild and Crazy Idea) is to build modular components to simplify small shed/shelter construction in remote locations where it's not feasable to get a vehicle. Locations where supplies/tools need to be hiked or small boated in.
    I wonder if your could refine the parameters?
    Maybe make a challenge?

I brought your request up with the builders I work with and the initial reaction was why?

Current building practices are very good. (Except permitting)
    As the day wore on they kept coming up with ideas and asking more questions.
    All I knew was something about water and 4' limit.

We thought...building the house out of foam sandwiched between layers of carbon fibre roof and all.

Building a barge of foam to carry all the building material in one shot would be good....as it is pretty east to drag a 40 ' TGI or 16' 2x6's without too much effort.

Maybe even building a dragline or highline to the building site?

It's intriguing to think of building a structure a different way!

For example.... imagine building a shed with Bill's linkers....but with places to wind carbon fiber.
    I can imagine the wimpiest truss system becoming mega strong with proper windings of carbon fibre placed in tension and sprayed with resin.

Another choice is build the structure with lifting in mind and helicopter it to the location.

Price Quality Speed

(Pick any two) ;-)

Chuck,

To be honest the "why" is a little bit self serving. I have property in Canada on a lake that consists of two parcels. One is common with other owners and can contain a dock and storage shed. The parcel that can be built upon is about two miles away via water. Furthermore, the building site consists of about a 35' climb up a very steep (2 feet and 2 hands) climb from the lakefront. There are no public ramps on the lake so I use my 12' porta-bote to get to the building site.

Now I could go the more conventional route of hiring someone with a barge who knows someone on the lake for a launch site, or drive a truck over the ice in winter. Either of these approaches would probably require clearing some trees to get larger building components to the site. I like the site in it's pristine condition and want to have a shelter there with minimal impact to the environment. By law in Ontario, I can build up to around with 104 sq/ft without any permitting. In reality, the site is so secluded, I could build a 7/11 there and they wouldn't know

After thinking it through, further research and reading Bills comments, I think the Moma style or Shelter 2.0 is the way to go. Bill and friends have
    really got some great ideas.

On a less self serving note, I can't be the only person in the world who has hike, boated, skied or whatever to a remote site and thought "Man I would like to spend some time here".

Sorry for the long winded Reply.

Jim.

P.S Yes I could camp but I'm scared of bears!

Quote Originally Posted by archis View Post
    Chuck,

To be honest the "why" is a little bit self serving. The parcel that can be built upon is about two miles away via water. Furthermore, the building site consists of about a 35' climb up a very steep (2 feet and 2 hands) climb from the lakefront. There are no public ramps on the lake so I use my 12' porta-bote to get to the building site.
    On a less self serving note, I can't be the only person in the world who has hike, boated, skied or whatever to a remote site and thought "Man I would like to spend some time here".

Sorry for the long winded Reply.

Jim.

P.S Yes I could camp but I'm scared of bears!
    Shelter 2.0 is a better option over conventional building especially within the parameters.

If you did build a 7/11....You need a couple of stiff legs and fabricate a logging highline.
    Some cable, snatch blocks, pelican hooks, shackles, winches, batteries, inverter, solar power.
    Don't use trees unless they are back stayed.

Flexifloats can transport all the supplies in one trip and provide a terrific dock!

Your portaboat might make a suitable tug without any wind.

As a property owner in some wild country....human voices scare me more than bears.
    ;-)

After due consideration, the shelter 2.0 won out over the 7/11.

Never heard of flexifloats, thanks for the tip.