I happened to have have an F5 that was in pieces and using the SB probe I got the digital footprint of both the top and back plates. The SB control software was then used to convert those files into .dxf files. I used ArtCAM to produce the cut files, but they were still very rough looking because the plates I used were so damaged. So I had to hand carve and sand them a bit, repeat the whole (SB and ArtCAM) process again. I now have cut files that I am very happy with. That was only the beginning however, and about 100 hours later I had an instrument I was pleased to pass along to the new owner.

I have about 5 guitars under my belt over the years and a couple of flat top mandolins and ukes - but this was my first undertaking to this level and I can't wait to make my next. The finish came out really well. I have a Turbinaire HVLP and I have come across a water-based varnish (yes - it is a varnish) that makes life so much easier (KTM-SV) that works with Trans-tint dyes to produce almost any color you can imagine.

Bret