Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Indexer Temp

I would buy some 12VDC box type fans or use CPU cooling fans that run on 12VDC, then I would add a small wall-wart type of power supply (the kind that has the transformer as part of the plug). The wall transformer will cost about $15. For safety, put a switch between the transformer and the fans.

You can buy 120VAC box fans. They usually cost a lot more, but the ones that I have are designed for continuous use. If you get that type of fan, you can just connect them through an On/Off switch directly to a wall plug without needing a transformer.

If you have any extra output lines open, you can control it with a relay and have the file turn a relay on and off to switch the fan.

It would be the same as having your dust collector or anything else that uses the SO command. For instance SO,8,1 will turn on output 8 and SO,8,0 will turn it back off. You can type that in at the bot and watch the 8 light work on the console.

You could modify your post processor that you use for indexer files to turn on and off an ouput, and you would need either a relay board from shopbot, or one of the home made versions.
    Kenneth

, Friday Harbor, San Juan Islands Washington

Mike and everyone else thanks for the suggestions for cooling fans. Mike what type of "boxfans" are you talking about that run on 120 volt? Only ones I am aware of are the type that are really large. For the 12 volt size that would be a simple way to go since I have a extra plug that is quite near where the indexer is. The only drawback is I would have to physically turn it on versus automatically coming on by way of relay.

Edit: Mike I didn't realize at the time I replied that the small fans for computers and cooling were called "Boxfans". I thought they were called something else. I am looking into it and have some ideas that may help me. Thanks!!
    Last edited by kubotaman; 01-07-2011 at 04:44 PM.

I know the temptation is to want it to start with the file starting but if you have a plug close you could get one of those small round tabletop fans and place it there.

You just have to add "turn on fan" to your mental checklist countdown when starting files. Thats what i do when starting a file:

5 is X,Y,Z zero'ed
    4 is correct tool in place and tight
    3 is material clamped down
    2 turn on dust collector (AND FAN)
    1 call up toolpath
    BLASTOFF!

http://www.mpja.com/departments.asp?dept=46

no end of fan choices

Steve

When the machine takes care of itself and turns things on and off when needed it sure is nice.
    Kenneth

Gee kenneth the next thing you will want is some type of auto tool changer or a remote app to move the carriage.....hmmm....wait...we already have that!

, Friday Harbor, San Juan Islands Washington

Okay, I did a simple experiment today to see what a small amount of air being past over my indexer motor would do. I used my wife's hair dryer for the air source. I put it on cool, no heat introduced, and held it to pass air over the indexer. I ran my same file 5 times and it seems that the indexer is heat soaked at 132 degrees! That is a little over 30 degrees less than without the air introduced. I am planning to purchase a small boxfan, most likely 120 volt, and mount it to pass it's air over the indexer. Hope all of this helps someone, it did me. Thanks for the help!!!