Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2011 SoCal Camp Shopbot !!!

Default 2011 SoCal Camp Shopbot !!!

We've finally(re)set a date for this one- Saturday April 9, 2011, and once again it's going to be held at Gabe Pari's shop;

So-Cal Teardrops
    8458 Loma Place
    Upland, CA 91786
    (909) 982-1199
    Gabe's got some ideas for this year's event, and as always we'd welcome any feedback regarding what you'd like us to cover during the day. You can contact Gabe, or myself - campshopbot "at" gmail.com to RSVP....
    Last edited by billp; 01-14-2011 at 04:49 PM.
    "Share your knowledge. It is a way to achieve immortality"...The Dalai Lama

"Nothing is really work unless you would rather be doing something else....." Sir James Barrie

Default So-Cal Camp

So, we're looking forward to another exciting year here at So-Cal Teardrops. While the contract work on the CNC has dipped a little, the trailer builds are staying strong. We are doing more and more custom builds and the Bot has proved invaluable in achieving production quality on one-off builds.

I'm excited about opening our shop for the Camp and having all the local Botters and wanna-be-botters gather again for a day of sharing and idea swapping. To make this years gathering a little more interesting, in addition to a few guest speakers and the obligatory show-n-tell, we will be holding a contest. This contest will be open to anyone, with or without a ShopBot. I don't expect everyone to get completely carried away and spend inordinate amounts of time on this, though I'm sure some will (Chubb? Magic?), so I'm trying to keep it simple, yet keep the design criteria to a minimum to encourage free thinking.

CONTEST RULES:

This years contest will be to build a bridge from a single sheet of 5'x5'x3mm (1/8") Baltic Birch. At about $6 a sheet, you should be able to test a few designs without breaking the bank. The sheet can be cut entirely on the bot, or using any other method. You must submit a drawing of your toolpath or cut strategy. The bridge will be brought to the Camp un-assembled and laid out to match the drawing to ensure that Magic, or anyone else, does not cheat.

The only material allowed is the single sheet of 5'x5'x3mm Baltic Birch. NO adhesives, fasteners, glue, tape, spit, gum, nails, string... NOTHING!! The bridge will be assembled on site, in front of everyone. I'm sure "someone" will try some slight of hand, so we'll be watching...

The bridge must span a distance of 1 meter. It cannot be attached or clamped to the mounting surface in anyway. It must be completely freestanding. There are no restrictions for overall height, or depth below roadway. The only restriction on width is that it must have a clear and "smooth" roadway capable of transporting a hot wheels car from one side of the bridge to the other. The height of the "lip" at the entrance and exit must not exceed 3mm, otherwise my 5 year old won't be able to drive his toy car across the bridge.

Now for the hard part. You must be able to stand on your bridge while it is spanning the 1 meter gap. I understand that some of us are "Gravity" challenged, you'll just have to make your bridge stronger.

Successful participants will win a prize. Once all the bridges have been "tested" by their builders, they will then be subject to destructive testing by the more Gravitational Superior people in the room. The bridge to support the most weight will be crowned the winner and awarded the grand prize.

Post up questions about the contest here so that all may see.

See y'all in April.

Gabe Pari
    www.socalteardrops.com

Default Bmi ?

Gabe,
    This sounds interesting.....!
    Maybe we can "handicap" the final scores by using the BMI ( Body Mass Index)- http://www.nhlbisupport.com/bmi/
    of the contestants. Got a good scale in the shop?

"Nothing is really work unless you would rather be doing something else....." Sir James Barrie

Bill, I expect you to show up with a bridge Or at least a cut file, in case the TSA won't let you board the flying machine with a birch carry on...

Gabe

I may have to take you up on that!
    At the least I'm probably already in first place based on the BMI...

Default Date Correction!

Hopefully no one has purchased their airfare yet, the date is a changing

I was just notified that there is a trade show that we must attend on the original weekend, so the new date will be April 9th.

Sorry for the confusion. Bill should be updating his original post soon with the new date.

Once again...

So-Cal Camp
    April 9th
    Upland, California

Thanks,

Gabe

BTW - Bridge builders start posting up, so I can get an idea of how many to expect.

Great, I'll NEED the extra week for my bridge design.

I will not be building a bridge but will consider jumping off of one.

I will now consider a taller design.....

Can you make a tall ladder too?