Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is E Cabs and the ShopBot Link worth it?

Default Is E Cabs and the ShopBot Link worth it?

Is E Cabs and the ShopBot Link worth the time and money? I know pending on what you do maybe, maybe not.

So what I am looking to do is develop a couple basic framed and framless cabinets and sell that cutting to the general public. At some point maybe I start cutting for some local shops. My plan is to make my CNC services 80%-90% of my business. In the past I have drafted and cut cabinets using ACAD with ok results. Having used ACAD for years I am very proficent with it's use.

Based on the posts I have read the system, wheather it be the link or the software, seems to be very buggy I have had enough headaches and still do with the shopbot and I just don't know if I can afford anymore brain damage and frustration. I actually purchased the link about 6 months ago and after it took about 5-6 hours to try and get a file written I pretty much gave up and decided I would try it another day. Well another day is here, I probably have a couple months to either increase the CNC business or go back and sit behind the desk so hopefully cutting some cabinets is a way to stay out from behind the desk.

My current set up is as follows:
    48x96 PRS Alpha, 2.2 HSD Spindle, vacuum table, no tool changer

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Ron

Cabinets Plus of Augusta, Hephzibah Ga 30815

I would look at cabinets parts pro FIRST . Its not all the glits and glamor of e cabinets but it works very good for me.

Thanks Gene I will have to check that out!

If you already have the 'bot and the link, why not use it?

Did the 5 or 6 hours you spent trying to make a file involve ecabinet time, or issues cutting with the link?

They are seperate issues to get around.

I have run both programs and the main diference between the two is visual. In ecabs you can see what you are designing and how the parts fit together. With CPP you have to know what you are designing, but you really can't see it.

If all you want are basic boxes, CPP will do fine for that. It is a nice and simple to use program.

If you want to build an island, fridge surround, or cabinet with an extra divider here and there, CPP falls short.

Both have a learning curve. CPP is a shorter learning curve, but I feel like I am working blindfolded when designing a cabinet with it. Ecabs will show you ever detail and let you control every detail of a cabinet, but with a steeper learning curve.
    Kenneth

Ron...
    There are both good and bad for any software package that you use for cabinet design and cutting. Here are some random thoughts, that you can go thru, maybe to bring up a question for clarification.

Familiarity with one program, leads to frustration with others that are not similar in menu or keyboard shortcuts. Even tho I could really use it some days, I would not consider a CAD program, especially ACad, because of the learning curve. That said, I also know it IS the best out there.

You need to decide if you are going to design pieces or cabinets. You have the ability to do you design work with ACad and export into either CPPro or eCabs. Very innefficient in eCabs and although better with CPPro's Nester, still no where near as efficient as design in either.

CPPro may not have full support of face frame cabinets. That said, if you build casework in the types it does support, CPPro is the best solution under $5K.

Most using the eCabs/SB Link combo, therefore having suffered thru the fairly long learning curve for both, will tell you there is nothing better under $20K. You can purchase video training for both to shorten the learning curve.

Both CPPro and eCabs/SB Link have the ability to design/modify casework, based on preset joinery parameters, in seconds and be cutting in under a minute. Both allow joinery and dado widths to be adjusted with a couple clicks.

Long and short of it is, that you have choices. Just like your proficiency with ACad, it will not come overnight. The greater the number of options or benefits to us as cabinetmakers, the longer the learning curve. There are dozens of us out there that are doing it on a daily basis. Bite the bullit, pick one, learn it.

As far as the bugs, there are a few. All known have decent workarounds. None are stopping production in any of our shops. Most are repaired fairly shortly after they are reported and confirmed.
    Gary Campbell
    GCnC Control
    GCnC411(at)gmail(dot)com
    Servo Controller Upgrades
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1

"We can not solve our problems with the same level of thinking that created them"
    Albert Einstein

Ron,

There is no doubt that eCabs has a long and steep learning curve. If you are using it just to design a library of framed and frameless cabinets, the learning curve is shorter and less steep. The biggest headaches with eCabs is when you start getting into the glitz and glitter of creating designs for a customer to be able to "see" their project before you start cutting anything. It is a great presentation/sales tool.

I have no experience with CPP so can't comment.

SBLink is a pretty good piece of software once you go up the learning ramp. Gary Campbell has put together a training series on the Link that should get you up and running a lot quicker then those of us who learned by trial and terror The Link does a good job. The only place I've seen problems/glitches is when you get into doing complicated Part Editor cuts. I've not gone to far down this road because of comments I've read on different forums. I tend to stay with fairly simple designs.

My learning curve was fraught with broken bits, wasted material and a lot more gray hair. With Gary's training series, he has taken this part out of the equation and can get you up and running pretty quick. No, I don't own the series but I know Gary pretty well. He helped me more then I can ever thank him over the last couple of years. I can assure you that knowing him like I do and his incredible wealth of knowledge, his training series is worth MUCH more then every penny it costs.

If you are seriously considering turning your CNC into a big money maker, Aspire, eCabs and SBLink can go a long way to help you with this. Just be patient and ask questions here when you hit a bump in the road so you don't waste a lot of material and break a lot of bits. But you will have to do some experimenting and learning on your own for some of the lessons to really hit home.

A lot of folks like Nat, Kenneth, Gary and others, on this forum, have gone through this process and have come out better then when we started. You just have to be patient and persevere.
    Don
    Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
    www.dlwoodworks.com
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece; But to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, bank accounts empty, credit cards maxed out, defiantly shouting "Geronimo"!

If you make something idiot proof, all they do is create a better idiot.

Thanks for all your responses. I appreaciate very much your honest thoughts as I hate sugar coated, life is rosie feedback
    For the most part I have no intention of creating renderings to help sell a project. The option is a nice one though. Just nuts and bolts case work, basic upper and lowers with an occasional entertainment center type of project thrown in... I guess my real concern is the learning curve. It looks easy enough and then it takes me 5-6 hours just to get a file written to the bot, with errors that I need to work though and I haven't even turned the machine on
    How long might one it take someone to cut an upper box, from the library? 10-20 hours?? Maybe I just need a bottle of Jim Beam and a box of 1/4" MC bits to use as stirrers??? I am not sure I saw the training series Gary put together but I will look for it for sure!

You still didn't tell us where you are getting hung up.

Open batch cabinets.

then select a cabinet to put in there from the std library

then click cnc and name the file.

Then your are ready to take that file to the bot.

Can you get that far?
    Kenneth

Ron...
    Not sure that I understand your question, but if was intended the way I read it, then the answer is, and this assumes seed cabinets to your liking, under 1 minute to design and export and under 10 minutes to cut. You can cut that (cutting) time in half if using butt joints and few shelf or hardware holes.

None of us can predict or quantify the learning curve for another user. I can tell you that if self taught like I was in the beginning, plan on a few hundred hours for average proffiency. If using the eCabs training videos, and select them to be pertinent to your task at hand, you can pare that time down to around a hundred hours or so. Most users are confident after 6 months or so of use.

I personally, and my opinion differs from that of those that sell the product, dont feel that a person new to ShopBot and CNC should attempt learning eCabs and the SB Link during the information overload that occurs during their first few months of ownership.

It should take around 5-6 hrs to go thru the segments on my training video, and this will get the Link settings correct for your machine. It does little to ensure that the cabinets you have designed are machinable.
    Gary Campbell
    GCnC Control
    GCnC411(at)gmail(dot)com
    Servo Controller Upgrades
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1

"We can not solve our problems with the same level of thinking that created them"
    Albert Einstein

Ken,
    I am not hung up anymore. After a couple calls to Thermwood we got it worked out. It was so long ago I forget exactly what was the problem.
    Gary,
    Thanks for the input on the learning curve. It gives me an idea what to expect. I will certainly take a look at your videos, thank you!