Thread: I need help tool pathing for a rush job

Default I need help tool pathing for a rush job

I just got an email asking me to cut a bunch of parts for a company with a KOMO machine that is out of commission with a burned out spindle. They are a little more s'pisticated than me and my Alpha and I'd like to be able to do the job. They have supplied me with DXF files that are 3D and I do not have enough experience to turn them into cutting files. Some of the parts are two sided. I have an alpha with a ATC (almost debugged, grrr)
    They want the parts tuesday, I think I can do it if they agree to my price and deliver their materials monday am, IF someone can help me generate the toolpaths...

I hope that this is super easy for someone! I don't think I have time to learn it on this job.

Thank you,

Nathan Sendan
    Sendan Construction
    cell: (510) 366-9962
    Attached Files Attached Files

well these are 2d parts as far as I can see. you need someone to give you the 2d version then you can just import them and toolpath them with little effort.

Default dxf files

Did you get the files to open ? You will have to unzip them first.

your Vectric software should open the dxf files ..

is there someone close by who can help ??
    The decimal point seems to be the most important on the z axis... x & y not so much....
    ShopBot... Where even the scraps and things you mess up and throw away are cool....

Default DXF Files

I can open them, switch to an orthographic projection and see the 3D, see the double sided cutting, etc.
    In order to meet their deadline, I'm hoping someone with more experience can give me cutfiles. I am happy to pay for the work of course! I'll just need a price and someone who can get it done on monday.
    I am available to discuss this via phone tomorrow... and on email all day too.

Have Fun,
    Nathan

Nathan,

I see what you mean, they have been drawn as 3D models. Possibly in something like SolidWorks or similar. Although, as far as I can see, they don't require double sided cutting. It's just that some are facing up and some facing down. Like the whole model has been exploded and just laid out flat. I think they are trying to make it hard on you. I would think that they would have some nested drawing of some sort.

Anyway, I can see them and determine the depths of the cuts. I could give you the top view and the needed depths. What software do you have?

Scott

Here's basically what you have in one of the panels. The next one would be similar, just with a round hole through it. Grooves and dados are 0.125" deep. The rounded rectangle is 0.5" deep and then 0.25" on the lip and 0.25" through.

I see that the stiles do need machining on both sides.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by srwtlc; 01-16-2011 at 01:02 AM.

why would they give you a 3d file in the first place? got to love these companies.

Default thanks for the help, didn't get the job

Well, with suggestions from this board, and thinking about it all weekend, I figured out how to to do the job, gave the client my price and found out that someone else was offering to do it for 1/3, including supplying materials. i'm pretty sure I wasn't that high! Someone is working awfully cheap...
    C'est la vie, the client has their own (Broken, KOMO) cnc, so it's not like I'm going to miss out on a lot of repeat business.

The guy who is apparently going to get the job also apparently only bid 1/2 the work and won't give them a delivery guarantee.

Go figure, the rush job might not actually be one...

have fun,
    Nathan

Probably a blessing!

Rush jobs are generally anything but...

I agree its a blessing .There doing price checking .Its also a nightmare some times to price a small job ,
    A 1/3 less at what 20 an hr.