Thread: dovetail box

Default dovetail box

On the message board there was talk of the dovetail boxes. How many tool changes would be needed to cut the thermwood version of a dovetail on plywood?
    Lorin

Lorin...
    Thermwood sells 2 bits as dovetail set. I am assuming that one is the angled bit and the other an outline tool. So my GUESS is one TC and no more than 2 if another outline tool is required.
    Gary Campbell
    GCnC Control
    GCnC411(at)gmail(dot)com
    Servo Controller Upgrades
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1

"We can not solve our problems with the same level of thinking that created them"
    Albert Einstein

I looked at a demo video. I suspect a pass almost through, then the dovetails and then cut out. I'll check with thermwood maybe.
    Thanks Gary
    Lorin

I talk with therwood and it one bit. I forgot the price, but it wasn't bad. It come with a little booklet on how to set it up. It look simple like everything else . I haven't try it so far as I am just setting up.

With ecabinets, is the dovetal drawer function built in, so that you just input the overall size of your dovetaill drawer and it spits out the cut file?

Brad,

From my experience using Dvtl.drw. boxes, E-cabs will automatically spit out the cnc code.
    I have been wondering how well a Shop Bot will cut the TW dovetail box. Using a Thermwood and working with the owner, it took a bit of work to get acceptable results. Biggest problem is table flatness and material thickness consistency. We were successful after finding a suitable sheet material but the costs of doing them was prohibitive. When the materials and assembly labor was figured out I found it more profitable to buy out my drawers. I only use TW boxes for highly configured boxes. Personal results may vary.

http://www.thermwood.com/ I may be wrong or got the wrong info. At the bottom of the thermwood web page their are video. One of which show a cnc cutting out the drawer. look really nice but it look like it used three differance bit. I going to call them back and see. I was told by the person that sold be the bit it only took one and I could used a straight one to cut them cut. I don't mind buying the extra bit but wish they told me. If you find anything differance please let me know.