Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: USB Cable Question

Default USB Cable Question

I have a PRS 48x48 Standard with the new style control box. My question is how good of Quality is the USB cable that comes with it and is it worth upgrading? Also how is it attached in the control box as I can't see the connection behind the input board?

I have been through Grounding the machine, Hubs, ect...

But I still get a comm error every now and then. Never while running a cut file but sometimes during going between a c2 command, K command, or from one file to the next...

Thank you for any help given...

Adam
    PRS Standard 96x48 2.2 HSD
    Plastics is my thing....

Do you have it installed with a usb hub or plugged straight into your pc?
    Kenneth

I have tried the one that came with the bot and one from staples but they both seem generic....

What do you think about this one? It looks robust and much better suited for being in a shop....

http://us.startech.com/product/ST430...peed-USB-3-Hub
    Plastics is my thing....

I think that one is overkill.

Do a speed test. Under utilities, Diagnostic tools, choose speed test.

You are looking for 70% or better.

The ammount of ram on the pc makes a difference too. What do you have there?
    Kenneth

The speed test is around 72%...

I am still curious about the cable itself.

Connection at the control box-
    Quality of the cable-
    Plastics is my thing....

I have try a couple of the super usb hud. I found that on some I couldn't even get a connection or I lost it. The ones that work the best seem to be the cheap one . also on computer don't go high end. same. thing lost or couldn't not get the connection. It seem that shopbot like middle of the road equipment. this is stuff i actualy try. seven differance computer from windows xp to window7. XP work the best.

Adam, I am nervous about getting deep into the answer of what kind of cable and why. Here is the plain English version:

Mostly USB needs to be three conductors and a shield, or four and an shield. The data + and - should be a twisted pair within that shield. Beyond that it mostly needs a strong enough jacket to withstand whatever physical things you do to it.

The various versions of the USB spec call for magic limits on length, capacitance and other parameters. Most likely any short extension you add will not effect the operation.

----- Ignore the following unless you like boring details

Electrical engineering rational behind the previous advice- the usb is designed for a maximum cable delay of 1500ns. Signals require just under 2ns per foot (1.8 is the text book value) to travel down the wires. So that allows a physical limit of just over 700 feet. Capacitance effects will come into play before that. And transmission line effects wont happen until approximately 1/10 of that which is around 70 feet. The specifications prohibit cables longer than 16 feet, which is designed to be sure that no-matter-what it will work. WIth a little care it can probably be made to work at distances well over 100 feet.

The cable has resistance, so the power capacity of USB will degrade with distance. That is directly computable from the wire gage you use and the amount of current needed. The shopbot has its own power, so I suspect there is none being carried on the power line of the USB, so it should not be a factor.

The twisted pair for the data does matter, though it is not super critical. I have worked with LVDS signals in other applications where they were not twisted for "equipment cabinet distances" and everything still worked ok. The length of the + and - should be very close to the same, and twisted cable helps there.

----

Feel free to add some wire if you need to, or replace the original. There is nothing really magical about it. Try it, save the original cable, you can always go back.

D
    "The best thing about building something new is either you succeed or learn something. Its a win-win situation."

--Greg Westbrook

72% should be ok. Not great, but ok.

I had issues with the oem usb cable and bought one from radio shack. It was about 35 dollars and works fine. Mine is a serial to usb convertor cable. Depending on your vintage of machine, yours could be a different type of cable.

How about the ram on the pc?
    Kenneth

Thanks for all the info everybody...

The cable in my control box is a type USB B end by the way. I replaced the oem cable with a RadioShack gigaware gold plated cable. The cable seems like a good quailty. I also am giving a differant hub a try from there.

Speed test now says 82%. I don't think it can get much better than that.

The Ram of my laptop is well above the req. shopbot needs also.

I have narrowed the comm lost down to maybe grounding. I have a solid electrical ground going back to my breaker box. Maybe I should also have a separate ground to a rod just for the bot?
    Plastics is my thing....

Adam, two things are bad about grounding.

Dust colection, and spindle wiring.

Make sure you have those covered well.

I didn't do a ground rod, but I did run quite a few grounds. Even grounding the pc case to the controller ground at the board.

In the 80's for the comm test is very good.
    Kenneth