Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Warning post

Default Warning post

I debated a while before deciding to post this link here on the forum. I decided to do so in hopes that the visual impact would increase the caution level of each and every one of you. Do not view if graphic pictures of injuries make you uncomfortable.

If I get enough input that the site is too offensive to post I will be glad to remove it.

http://www.cncworks.biz/gallery/injury/index.html

that really sucks. Glad I have not eaten for awhile. How are they doing? my hands don't always go where I want so I worry about stupid things happening to me. went to grab my little router and one finger went through the guard and got bitten. dropping wood on my foot I always was able ot move my feet out of the way.

That is unfortunate, hope you recover as much use, and feeling as possible.
    Michael Schwartz - Waitsfield VT
    Shopbot prs standard 48x96. Aspire. SB Link.

Donn,
    I think those pictures reinforce the old saying "A picture is worth a thousand words".

Ouch. I something very similiar to the same finger a few years ago. Fortunately I didn't cut the tendon but I did sever the nerves.

Put paid to me using a lathe as I can't feel the tool against the rest and occasionally I hit the part of the finger where the nerves end and boy does that hurt!

I hope you make a full recovery.

I have never been bit, but I have had a few close calls.

One was with a delta combo bench grinder, with a missing side shield on the grinding wheel. I was making an adjustment to the tool rest, and slipped hitting the wheel with my knuckle. Scared the living daylights out of me, and scraped up my knuckle, but thankfully didn't cause a serious injury. That grinder went in the dumpster a few months later.

Trying to cut short pieces on the miter saw is just a bad idea. You can get away with it, but sometimes.... Thankfully all I can say is that I have had some scary kickbacks, and ruined some wood doing stuff I shouldn't have done in the first place.

Finally I was cutting a short piece on my band saw with a 3/4" re saw blade. The throat plate suddenly disintegrated causing the work piece to pivot up as the blade pulled the other end down throwing my fingers towards the blade guard, which at least was lowered. I didn't hit the guard, but that experience was still way to close for comfort, and has changed the way I use a band saw since. All small pieces get held with a clamp when making freehand cuts.
    Michael Schwartz - Waitsfield VT
    Shopbot prs standard 48x96. Aspire. SB Link.

Will keep you in my prayers for good recovery.
    Ed Lang
    PRS Alpha 48
    Techno LC4848
    Trotec Speedy 300 45W laser
    M-300 50W laser
    VLS4.60 50W laser
    Aspire V3

Thanks for posting.

Those of us with Arm Saws, Band Saws, Table Saws, and Joiners are at great risk of injury. There are few vocations as dangerious as wookworking. Your post is very much appreciated.

My only accident has been with a bandsaw, armed with a skip tooth blade. It was only a surface wound but took twenty two stitches. Still, that was a wonderful lesson. Be Careful.

Joe Crumley

right thumb in table saw twice in early 07, purchased cnc shortly there after, thanks for the reminder it sends chills yet is necessary!
    jim

Thanks for the reminder. Sorry to hear about it though.

What tool and how?

I put in a saw stop this past year, but there are plenty of other tools within arms reach of it that would do the same thing.
    Kenneth