Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How fast can you cut?

Question How fast can you cut?

I am trying to understand how fast a Shopbot machine with a router or spindle attached will cut these simple requests.

How long would it take to cut six 24’’circles out of a:
    I know the circle might be sized a little less to accommodate the board in the width and length.

4’ x 8’ sheet of ½ MDO plywood.

4’ x 8’ sheet of 3/4 MDF plywood.

4’ x 8’ sheet of ¼ Acrylic.

4’ x 8’ sheet of 13mm Sintra

How long does it usually take to carve out some text and simple detail artwork out of HDU sign foam. Sizes are sizes:

2’ x 4’

4’ x 8’

Thanks for the help!!

Bart

Bart, by the looks of your profile picture, maybe you outta lay off the coffee and slow down a bit.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

the plywood can be cut 3ips though I usually do a cleanup pass so figure about 5 minutes or so.
    plastic is a fair amount slower only 1.ips or so. the sintra two passes and say 2ips.

Depending on the tool size, veneered MDF can be cut fairly fast. I will often cut at 6"/sec with a 3/8" compression and 5"/sec with a 5mm compression at 0.375"/per pass. Lots of dust!

Question No coffee my dog just chewed up my sunglasses.

Thanks for the helpful information it's a little clearer how fast a router can cut these materials. Providing the machine is set at the correct settings and I'm using the correct bit and compression. So I can I assume if I had a 2' x 4' HDU Sign to carve out it would take no less the 10 minutes to route and carve any letters and or shapes given.

Default take good care of that good eye...

take good care of that good eye...

Depending on how you hold things down, more time can be spent with hold down procedures compared to cutting procedures.
    The decimal point seems to be the most important on the z axis... x & y not so much....
    ShopBot... Where even the scraps and things you mess up and throw away are cool....

Bart

You can't give accurate times.It all depends on many variables.
    Material/How complex the design and /or letters......

No matter how long it takes,It will be more accurate and faster in the long run then any other method
    http://www.WoodworkingByErminio.com

Custom Cabinetry, Furniture ,CNC Services
    Email:Wberminio@msn.com
    914-666-8746 Shop/Office

I cut Sintra and Acrylic all the time. Sintra I cut at 4.5 IPS .26 deepapass and acrylic at 3 IPS

Bart,

I cut 1/2", 5/8" and 3/4" plywood at about 6 inches per second and always make two passes. First pass (climb cut) leaves a 1/32" skin and the second pass (conventional cut) trims to exact size and cuts 1/64" thru the ply into the spoil board. I can turn a sheet of 3/4" plywood into cabinet parts, ready to assemble, in about 10-20 minutes. All depends on the number of parts that are being cut.

I cut 1/4" and 1/2" MDF at 3-4 inches per second as well and cut hundreds of parts for a local sports plaque company. Everything from 4" circles to 25" circles as well as football shapes. The 1/4" takes awhile because I'm cutting 230 circles with a .1875" downcut spiral bit at 3ips. The 1/2" MDF I cut with a 1/4" downcut spiral at 4ips.

Carving something takes longer depending on the amount of detail you want to end up with. Most carving I do with a 1/8" ballnose using a 6% stepover rate. This makes for a very detailed carving with little sanding left to do. Most carving is a 2 step approach where the roughing is done with a larger bit and the a second pass is done with a smaller bit. The attached business sign I use at shows plaque took about 4.5 hours to carve to give you an idea of timing.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Don
    Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
    www.dlwoodworks.com
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece; But to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, bank accounts empty, credit cards maxed out, defiantly shouting "Geronimo"!

If you make something idiot proof, all they do is create a better idiot.

Don, I love that border on your sample sign, how was it accomplished? Russ