Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Trying to decide between CNC routers

A few considerations.

I would stay away from using a Bosch colt as a spindle. At a minimum I would go with a 2-1/4 hp PC router. .

Maintaining a consistent spindle(router) RPM, is critical, as the relationship between the RPM of the cutter, and feed rate is a key factor for determining cut quality, bit life, accuracy, etc... Having more power allows you to set the router at a slower RPM, but maintain a more appropriate speed range while cutting more aggressively.

I am assuming the 2-1/4 PC router will take a 3/8" or 1/2" collet as well. I have a full sized shopbot, but even when I am cutting small projects that would fit on the desktop, I often use tooling with a 1/2" shank.
    Michael Schwartz - Waitsfield VT
    Shopbot prs standard 48x96. Aspire. SB Link.

Prime point, Michael.
    The Shark tied to a weak router is rapidly turning into a deal killer with me.
    There is really no way around it with the design of the machine ,, If you tried to improvise a solution for more hp, the frame itself likely would not take much more torque without skewing the whole works.
    I plan on doing at least some semi serious cutting, and the weak router I can see in advance as a frustrating obstacle.

So I'm talked out of the Shark, though of course, it might be the better option for some.
    Now its between the Buddy or Desktop, and I might take another look at the Stingers as well.

I looked at the Shark and the gantry seems weak it had a lot of flex. The design software is the same for both the Shark and Shopbot desktop. Both are Vcarve Pro.

Don't let the small ($1500) price difference fool you into thinking these machines are in the same category. Those of us who know enough to build our own machines from scratch could write you a book on the night and day differences when it comes to quality of construction, materials, and machine capability.

Most buyers don't begin to learn/understand all of these factors until they've owned a machine for many months. It may sound funny, but I would reverse your math - I think the ShopBot price is a great deal for what you receive and the Shark may be overpriced.

I will add one more comment to what others have advised already. I'm in a unique position in this discussion because I often get calls from customers who own Sharks as well as ShopBot owners. The Bosh Colt routers can only accept 1/4" bits. This limits the types and sizes of cutters and accessories you can use with the machine. It effects cut speed and cut quality/finishing time.

Enjoy your new toy - which ever you end up with. It's really not about the machine, it's what you can do with it that counts.

Good point Kenneth...ck vectric forum for all of the Shark owners that have problems...

If you have the space I would wait for a older 4x8 pr or prt machine for close to the same cost as what you are looking at...

But hey I am just a Guy in the Desert working in a off the grid shop...in Mexico
    Vector Studio 22

Space wise, I think the Buddy is as large as I could handle.

I would look at either the SB desktop, buddy, or the stinger. Anything less, I would build my own machine from scratch, or go with a kit such as Joes CNC.
    Michael Schwartz - Waitsfield VT
    Shopbot prs standard 48x96. Aspire. SB Link.

Cabinets Plus of Augusta, Hephzibah Ga 30815

if it were me i would get an older computer to run the cnc . Design your files on the computer in the house and use a usb stick to transfer the cut files.
    also you can cut small parts on a bigger machine but it gets tough to cut bigger parts on a smaller machine. If i may ask what are you planning to be cutting? or using the cnc for?

Yeah, I've heard that some folks are running into problems with the newer 64 bit systems.

Not sure what exactly I will be making. I am a creator, and I feel that the only limit will be myself. I'm a journeyman union carpenter of 10 years +, I have been working with wood, power tools, scroll sawing ect, most of my life, and am fairly computer literate ,,, So I feel that I have a good leg up on getting started.
    I recently did these wood creations by hand, as a memorial to a little girl that died.
    I figure if I can dream up and create something like that by hand, can't wait to see what I'll come up with CNC.

Would like to go in some mode of light production, wouldn't mind cutting some custom aluminum or plastic guitar picks ,,, And who knows what else.
    Once I get my head around the learning curve, I can already tell I'll be hooked.

I guess my question now is if the extra cost of the Buddy vs Desktop is justified for me.
    I think it is, don't want to risk growing out of something in a matter of months.
    I understand the advantages of the Buddy system are:
    * Larger size, facilitating larger projects
    * More power
    * Faster cuts

Cabinets Plus of Augusta, Hephzibah Ga 30815

I too have been woodworking for about 36+ years and when i got my shopbot it blew my mind. You will only be limited to what you can imagine , my bot is a 48x96 and it has allowed me to do so much more that i ever could have before i got it. Perfect arch valances , fluted columns not to mention the 3D carvings . It will definately take you up a notch in your capabilities of what you can produce. Good luck in your choice.