Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More stuff from the 'train guy'

Default More stuff from the 'train guy'

Here some pix of a couple of my train projects. The stock car is about 50% botted, and the combine passenger car is about 85% botted. Next on the list is some more buildings. Russ

http://jalbum.net/browse/user/album/890574/

Pretty cool, Russ. Thanks for posting!

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

Very nice can I have a ride

Cabinets Plus of Augusta, Hephzibah Ga 30815

What does the rail cars measure, and how do you do the couplers? If i ever get the chance i would love to see this in person

The stock car is 74 inches long about 19 inches high and 16 inches wide. The combine is aobut 97 inches long. They both have metal under carriages. The scale is 2 1/2 inches equals one foot. The couplers have working knuckles just like the real ones. Contact your local hobby shop to see if there is a local live steam club near you. Most major cities have one close by. If any of you have an occasion to visit Southern Oregon please feel free to give me a holler and I'll take you out on the railroad. We now have over 32 miles of track (real miles not scale) and still building. Russ

http://www.trainmountain.org

Is this your job or are you retired and just love the model RR life? It has to be very rewarding to see all the people enjoying your talented work. what powers the locomotives?
    Last edited by gene; 02-06-2011 at 01:02 AM.

Retired but as Ted always says we are after all just sign makers! I now have a nice little side business going doing some really crude signs and some even cruder (sp?) cabinets. The live steam hobby right now is pretty equally divided between steamers (coal, oil, or propane), gasoline / hydraulic, and the newest and fastest growing, electric. I make mostly structures for the hobby. The rail cars are this winters side projects. I bought my bot just to do this kind of hobby stuff but as you all know that is just the beginning. I have attended several bot camps, a couple of bot user groups meetings, and 3 Maker Faires. The association with fellow botters has now become my new hobby and I love it. Russ

Bu looking at the photos on the site they must be able to pull alot of weight . About what will they pull and how much does a locomotive weigh? Thank you Gene

Train Mountain is basically a model of a mountain railroad (2 to 3% grades over a mile or more long) as such its more a matter of what can you safely stop and not a matter of what can you pull! Most small to medium locos weigh in at between 500 and 1200 pounds. At that weight they can pull roughly 3000 to 8000 pounds. My loco weighs 525 pouinds and will pull the train with 9 adults on it. Some of the trains also have train brakes and that allows them to safely pull a little more than I can. A good place to look at what's available is the want ad section of the Discover Live Steam website. Russ

dang, i bet you enjoy your work!!