Thread: NewBee waiting for delivery

Default NewBee waiting for delivery

OldMan waiting on BT48 w/2.2hp spindle etc... expected shipping date 2/11/2011 I sure going 2 have 2 sign for acceptance of delivery... is there any advice on inspecting said products from shippers upon arrival?

Your new tool will arrive in a big crate. Have your screwgun charged up and ready to go.

Watch this short video on Uncrating a ShopBot Buddy

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

Inspect the crate. If there is any damage make sure it is noted on the delivery receipt as an exception and have the delivery driver enter the exception on his bill of lading. Take pictures immediately (with a date stamp if you can) and have the driver contact his dispatcher and put you on the phone. Get the dispatchers e-mail and send an e-mail with the pictures and a reminder of the date and time of the phone call. Make sure you have all the records. A typical note might say: "shipping crate damaged-unable to inspect contents immediately". Believe me-the driver won't want to hang around long. When I think there is a real problem I have kept him waiting there for quite a while to make sure I had all the issues recorded properly and opened the case with his dispatcher immediately.
    If the crate is broken open or has been obviously broken open and "repaired" do your best to not only record any possible damage but also inventory to make sure you have received all you should. If you can't accurately inventory at that moment note that on the bill of lading. Make sure the driver signs acknowledgement of your notes on the bill of lading.

Even if there is no damage and everything looks great keeping a photographic record as you unpack is a good thing. There could be damage inside that you can't see when the crate looks perfect.

All that being said-don't be paranoid-there have been no reports here of poorly packed machines. SB may charge well for crating but they seem to know their job.

Don't worry.....I had my BT48 shipped from Factory all the way to melbourne Australia by ship and then road transport to me and not a scratch. The worst was the forklifting off the truck....you'll need slippers as it is a 'big' box

When accepting freight shipments, I almost always try to find something to note, before I sign off. Having seen the kind of things forklift drivers do, well I don't want to scare you too much.

For example I will note " dented corner on crate, possible concealed damage" I will note things such as busted palates, torn boxes, etc... as well. There is almost always something you can find.

It is much easier to make a claim later on when you find concealed damage two days later, if you made note of something. Depending on the freight company, it may be difficult, or impossible to make a claim later on. Don't let the driver tell you otherwise.

With that being said you can relax, because ShopBot crates their machines well, and deals with a reputable freight company. I would keep the phone handy when you take delivery, because if there are any problems ShopBot will sort them out for you.

For example I was told if they had any trouble getting the machine off the lift gate, to call and that they would make them get it off. Sometimes the freight companies load the crates into the truck backwards.

I would plan to have a tarp on hand in case the weather goes sour.

The driver who delivered my machine was pleasant, and waited patiently, and even helped open the crate so I could inspect the contents prior to signing off.
    Michael Schwartz - Waitsfield VT
    Shopbot prs standard 48x96. Aspire. SB Link.

Smile Got mine 8 days ago

I got mine 8 days ago but it was a tussle with the freight company. Shopbot has used this freight company for many deliveries but for some reason the one in San Jose said they could NOT deliver it at all as it was TOO BIG.

After a number of emails to/from Dianne at Shopbot and to/from the freight company I was getting very frustrated as my Buddy had been in San Jose for a week.

While on the phone with Frank from Shopbot at noon on Friday, two delivery guys showed up and the crate was located in my driveway where I specified in less than 15 minutes. (I think the first guy was not confident and was afraid of running off of the liftgate while moving the crate out of the truck.)

No problems with the condition of the crate or the Buddy. I would advise a minimum of two people for the unpacking. Shopbot has done a good design on the crate to make it easy to get the Buddy out of the crate but there are a lot of screws for the crate and for holding the tool!

The hardware used to hold the crate together and to keep the Buddy in place weighs 5lbs. 10oz, I weighed it just out of curiosity!

Hans,

I'm in San Jose too. Give me a call if you need any help with the software. I'll send you my number in a private message.

- Randall Newcomb
    - Randall Newcomb
    10 fingers in, 10 fingers out
    another good day in the shop

Quote Originally Posted by oldnovice View Post
    (I think the first guy was not confident and was afraid of running off of the liftgate while moving the crate out of the truck.)
    With the Buddy box on a pallet jack up there on the liftgate believe me it is SUPER SCAREY up there and we were super relieved when we got down. There aint nothing up there to hold onto!!! Next time we will hire a fork lift and maybe avoid soiled underpants! The Buddy crate though is truly beautifully thought out. The guys even have the uncrating instructions pinned to the side of the box! We of course missed this! Having a built in ramp just blew us away. Thank you Shopbot.
    Buddy BT48 with 6' power stick
    2.2 HSD Spindle
    Aspire 9.5
    6" ShopBot Indexer

I have unloaded a lot of stuff using a lift gate truck and you never leave the item jacked up when it is on the gate.