Thread: powder coating hdu

Default powder coating hdu

I'm interested in Powder Coating HDU.

Does anyone know the exact process?
    Thanks

Paint powder is applied with a static charge and oven cured at 350 -400 degrees depending on the particular powder you’re using. Some very high end equipment may be able to accomplish this on HDU but none that I know of. A quick search of suppliers I used in another lifetime was not positive.

Steve

Yes that's the plan but normally HDU repels the powder or just does not allow it to stick.

My neighbour has 4 ovens and does this professionally and had tried several times.

I'm interested in the low temp system of powder/process and what the process is to coat the HDU and possibly wood while allowing the HDU.

Ten + years ago I was “plant engineer” at a factory that applied 2000+ lbs of powder a day. Our attempts to use low temp coatings to lower our energy costs resulted in a lot of spoiled powder from lack of control over transportation and storage temperatures. I know that a lot has changed in the last 10 years and that some industries are powder coating MDF. Quick inquiries of old acquaintances indicate that a lot of voodoo is involved and it is not practical for small batch oven systems.

The link below is to a company that has a lot of newsletter articles on a wide range of heating/curing applications, a search there may bring up interesting information.

Let us know if you find something practical!

Steve

http://www.noblelight.net/

Great. I'll forward it to my neighbour. He says there are half a dozen types of newer powders being made... one source said to preheat the HDU so when the powder was applied it immediately melted and bonded but doing several colors would be a problem. Another said just use 16 pound or better but that didn't work.

He has one oven that's big enough for 2 cars and has a trolly system. I want to see about making signs in a smaller oven.