Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New guy that needs advice on software

Question New guy that needs advice on software

I am a "New-be" to this equipment. The past year I got the ShopBot bug and just had to have one. Just this past week I found a older PRT 96 ShopBot locally and now have it home. It was built in 2000 and is in great shape. Mechanically it is ready to go but I now have to decide what I want to do in regards to software. Included with the machine is what the past owner used (computer was not included).

Included was a disk of Vector32 version 9.3, I haven't had any luck opening this to even try it and what I see in the included manual looks like some very old outdate non-user friendly stuff.

I guess what I need to know is what would you recommend for software? I have been looking on the web and have tried some of the free down loads from Vectric (Cut2D & Cut3D & VCarvPro). These range in price from $150 up to $600. Also what is supplied with the new ShopBot units now (ShopBot Part?) would that work on this older machine?

Up to know I haven't loaded anything into my computer, I would rather wait and start out fresh with the right options up front. Keeping in mind that the work that I will be doing is mostly basic 2D with text but eventually may lead into more 3D sign work. It would be good to start with something that has both 2D and 3D and user friendly.

Please offer whatever insight you can, I do appreciate your assistance.
    Thanks to all in advance! Rob Gunn

With the new ShopBots you get PartWorks (the same program as Vcarve) and PartWorks 3D (the same program as Cut3D).

I'd say start with PartWorks/VCarve and go from there. You can use the free 3D Machinist program from VectorArt3D to generate toolpaths for their 3D clipart and embed into Partworks/VCarve if you want some 3D elements to your signs.

If the bug really bites you can always upgrade to Aspire later on which will enable you to create your own 3D design elements.

Robert:
    IMHO Partworks can’t be beat. It is simple and easy to learn and as your skill level increases, you’ll find features you didn’t know where they were or what they were for. Also, if you really get ambitious and want to do your own 3D models, it has an upgrade value to Aspire. I know that the $795.00 price tag is stiff, but I don’t think your shopbot will see its full potential without it. Plus the support available on this forum is great!

Steve

Rob, Welcome!

Partworks is your best bet to start with. Once you learn this software and what your machine can do, you can consider an upgrade to Aspire.

Your big challenge to start with is getting to know what and how your machine works and does things. No need in spending huge $$$$ for software until you get really comfortable with your setup. Once you are comfortable and know all your machines idiosyncrasy's and quirks, you are ready to move to the next level. To learn to play with 3D projects, you can always get a hold of Google Sketchup (free) and start practicing/learning 3D work there until you can afford 3D CAM software.

If you need custom 3D models, there are several people who can do this type of work for you (I take advantage of their skills often). You then import the model into Partworks and off you go. You can get a lot of 3D models done for the price of purchasing Aspire. Don't get me wrong I support Vectric all the way, but suggest you start slow.
    Don
    Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
    www.dlwoodworks.com
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece; But to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, bank accounts empty, credit cards maxed out, defiantly shouting "Geronimo"!

If you make something idiot proof, all they do is create a better idiot.

Thumbs up

Wow, you guys are the greatest! So good to get so much helpful advise so soon. I was leaning toward the Partworks anyway but just wanted some expert direction. Should I assume the Partworks will run OK with what I have or should I expect to have to get some type of needed up grade? The operating disk that came with the machine is SB3_3_18_PRT. I wonder if that will be OK or should I be requesting a up date from ShopBot? Is there a way to get a demo copy of PartWorks to play with just to make sure? I do have some 2D and 3D industrial machining background and am fairly fluent in 2D and 3D AutoCad and some in SolidWorks. I assume I should be able to ride this horse fairly quickly, I just want to make sure I have the right saddle... Thanks all for the advise and feel free to add more as needed, the more info I get the better!

Since you said below you have downloaded the trial version of VcarvePro that will do fine to practice. Partworks is the same but only outputs to SB. You can get Partworks from SB or buy either there and VCarve Pro direct from Vectric should you decide it is for you. You'll get the same excellant support regardless. From what you said you want to do it is the right program. Should you get into 3d work it is easy and fair priced to upgrade to Aspire or Add cut 3-D. Don't wait too long to get your fully functional version though as you will be chomping at the bit to cut very quickly!

If you don't have bits there are a couple "starter" sets SB has put together that will help you as well. For signs you will probably want to add a couple other V bits pretty quickly. If you get the starter set (all Onsrud bits) you will also have your table surfacing bit already. Try a couple Centurian bits for additional ones and you can make up your own mind about whose you like. They are both excellant quality.

Assuming you have a PC router at the least put in new collets and nut right away-they probably need it. Also check your pinion gears for wear. If when you are cutting things seem a bit rougher then they should that would be a likely cause. Before you start cutting check all bolts for tightness-make sure everything is level-make sure your machine is grounded. If you don't have the manual get it from the SB documents page.

I would download the newer version of control software available here:
    http://www.shopbottools.com/mSupport...olsoftware.htm

Scroll down for the version for an older PRT without the 4-g upgrade.

Speaking of which, if you decide you want more oomph and/or smoothness out of your tool, the best way to go without major bucks is to get the 4-g upgrade from Shopbot. $1,400 and well spent. I did mine years ago and am still glad I did. If you really want to beef up your machine then spend lots of time going through the forum section on Shopbot Modifications. There is tons of stuff in there about things to do to a PRT (and other Bots as well).

Hope that wasn't too much info to take in!!

If you haven't already join the Vectric forum. They are a very helpful too.

Phil

I would g with the Vectric software over Partswork as it is basically the same only it will output cut files for other machines as well as Shopbot. cown the road you may pick up a small non Shopbot or like me have a chance to make files for another machine. I make some cut files for the company I work for to run on their Biessie cncs

Default Vectric / Partworks

With your Autocad background you should pick things up fairly quickly.

The best thing to do is visit someone and watch them design a few things, you will pick up on a lot of Vectric / Partworks items quickly and then you tend to learn things one or two at a time. Tuition might involve beer, pizza or donuts...

You can design more complex things in Autocad and save it to a 2000 dxf which is a file Vectric / Partworks can open. From there you assign bits and toolpath parameters which takes a while to learn.

I learned today that Keyhole bits break fairly easily...
    The decimal point seems to be the most important on the z axis... x & y not so much....
    ShopBot... Where even the scraps and things you mess up and throw away are cool....

Rob,

It looks like anything I could contribute has been covered.

Welcome to the family and the best forum on the web. This is the most giving and sharing bunch of guys and gals you ever want to meet!

Looking forward to your posts of projects.

Wayne