Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New guy that needs advice on software

Thumbs up

This is all great information, you all bring up a number of points that I didn't consider. With all this said, I think the best option for me is to get the Vectric VCarvePro, this will give me most of what I need for 2D sign work. On rare occasions when I may need some 3D art I will use the VectorArt 3D and free 3D machine program. This combination should get me to where I need to be. Anyone see a flaw in my logic? Am I missing something? Thanks again to all for the great advise! Rob

That sounds good. You can also upgrade Vcarve Pro to Aspire later on

Wow, its hard to believe its been 3 years sense I got my ShopBot. We have kept it busy and I have learned a lot (both good and bad). Please undersatnd that I bought my vintage 2000 PRT96 used and didn't get any documentation with it so basically I have learned how to run it by trial and error. I do have a few questions that maybe already covered somewhere else on the form but I couldnt find it. I would like a better understanding of the "Input" and "Outputs" that I see on my control screen (see attached photo). I do know that the input #1 is what reads when my Z axis tool touch off plate is used and I always manually test it before running the command. I do see that Output 1 comes on when I start a toolpath program, I assume its to turn on the spindle if needed. What is my Output #4 telling me when it is on (and it always is). Why is my input #3 partially on? How and why would I use any of the 8 output switches on the yellow keypad? Why is my #4 output switch always on and what does it do if I turn if off.

I know that there will be some of you out there that will be wondering how I got 3 years into this ShopBot adventure and I dont know what these inputs and outputs do but if I dont ask, then I will never know. Thanks for any help that cam be send my way.
    Attached Images Attached Images

From the command reference:

"Special Cases: Switch number 4 (default =
    4,-1) is automatically activated when the tool is in motion. It is set to ON at the time the Warning Signal (see [SW]) begins to flash and beep, and in this way could be used to activate a relay that controls other processes, such as external warning signals or accessories such as dust collectors.
    "

The other inputs/outputs can be used for all sorts of things. I use number 8 to switch a relay to control my dust collector (I don't always want it on so it's not linked to 4) and I have a proximity switch on 5 for setting the top of my Z movement.
    The answers to a lot of questions can be found at http://www.shopbottools.com/ShopBotDocs/ or http://support.vectric.com/