Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cabinet Press

Default Cabinet Press

I'm just wondering if you know of a better way of assembling cabinets. Is there a cabinet press that would suit a one-two man shop?

At the moment I am making parts using blind dado construction, then using pipe clamps to hold the cabinets while the glue sets. And to speed things up I use screws on the cabinets without exposed ends.
    Last edited by erniek; 02-18-2011 at 04:56 PM.

If you use eCabinets and SBLink, there is a new barbed dado joint that works like a fishhook with barbs on it. You push the joint together and the barbs hold while the glue dries. Yes, it does require a barbed dado bit from Thermwood.

I haven't used it yet because business has been too slow to justify getting the bit. If/when cabinet demand goes up, I will go this route to "clamp" my cabinets together.
    Don
    Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
    www.dlwoodworks.com
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece; But to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, bank accounts empty, credit cards maxed out, defiantly shouting "Geronimo"!

If you make something idiot proof, all they do is create a better idiot.

I think the barbed dado wouldn't be practical unless you had the automatic tool changer.

How about using pocket screws on the boxes with exposed side panels.

You may be able to find a good deal on a used press, but every one I have seen takes up quite a bit of space.
    Michael Schwartz - Waitsfield VT
    Shopbot prs standard 48x96. Aspire. SB Link.

Ernie...
    Look on Ex Factory, Woodweb or MLS for a used case clamp. They range in size from medium to very large. There should be some that would work in a small shop, but be aware, they take up a lot of room.
    Gary Campbell
    GCnC Control
    GCnC411(at)gmail(dot)com
    Servo Controller Upgrades
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1

"We can not solve our problems with the same level of thinking that created them"
    Albert Einstein

We use crown staples and through dados as opposed to blind and instead wood glue, we use PL. The clamps would slow us down. Back in the day, before dados on the CNC, I did it with screws and clamps but now I look back and see it took a long time compared to how we do it now.

We post laminate our finished ends. No clamps used in construction at all.

Dave...
    Now that I am back in the land of wood, our product line is similar to Ernie's. Casework from unfinished veneer plywood and in most cases, with face frames. Fasteners thru a finished side, wont work. eCabs doesnt support pocket screw/dado combination.

Clamps and glue could be the only options in many cases.
    Gary Campbell
    GCnC Control
    GCnC411(at)gmail(dot)com

"We can not solve our problems with the same level of thinking that created them"
    Albert Einstein

If you just can't handle the look of a few filled pinholes in the side of a finished end how about pinning by nailing into the cabinet edge through the tennon? After all, you are only looking to hold it together while the adhesive sets up.
    How are your face frames designed to be installed?

The thing about case clamps is they are really designed to be used for dowels or biscuits that swell up fairly quickly so the box doesn't stay in the clamp very long.

"Single box" clamps aren't that big but cycle time is the key.

Dave...
    I am sure many do, but visible pins is one of the ways I am able to set my work apart from "the others"

Face frames have a 1/4 deep by 1/2 wide dado. They are pregrooved, pocket screwed, sanded and prefinished prior to being glued to a PF case. Finished with the case if not PF casework.

My experience with eCabs blind dado (mortise & tenon) joinery is that similar swelling of the tenon occurs, so clamp cycle time is short. Its also nice to keep a single joinery method (and seed library) for both clamp & glue UF cases and screwed and glued PF.
    Gary Campbell
    GCnC Control
    GCnC411(at)gmail(dot)com

Albert Einstein