Thread: texture match

Default texture match

I'm in the early stages of learning this software. Some things I have a really good understanding, but sometimes a small task gets in the way of progress. I am having trouble "texture matching" face frame material to a door/drawer.

Ideally I would like to create a drawer in "white" and simply drop it in. I'm starting with a cabinet that is completely white. However I can't seem to find out how to make a door/drawer a color other than the existing template stain colors. So when I drop in a drawer front; its stained than I can texture match it to something else that is white and easily change it. When I take the cabinet back into "main" view the face frame turns to the original drawer stain color. I've tried every combination I can think of and the training videos don't address this (I think)

What is the best way to do this?

John,

In construction settings under faceframes on page 2, make sure you have the little checkbox checked that says match faceframes to doors/drawers. This way any time you change the door/drawer face colors the faceframe will follow suit. You can also match the doors/drawers to the faceframe by selecting a door/drawer then right clicking and then select match texture and click on the faceframe (or other part) and the door/drawer will change to match the new texture/color.
    Don
    Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
    www.dlwoodworks.com
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece; But to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, bank accounts empty, credit cards maxed out, defiantly shouting "Geronimo"!

If you make something idiot proof, all they do is create a better idiot.

Thanks Don..

"In construction settings under faceframes on page 2, make sure you have the little checkbox checked that says match faceframes to doors/drawers."

I wasn't aware of this box, however it is checked and the face frame remains different.

"You can also match the doors/drawers to the faceframe by selecting a door/drawer then right clicking and then select match texture and click on the faceframe (or other part) and the door/drawer will change to match the new texture/color. "

This one I'm familiar with and when I try this (hover over the face frame) the "match texture" feature is not highlighted and unselectable. I think the manner in which assigned a "white" color to all the parts may have to be the issue. Any other ideas?

Kerry Fullington Custom Cabinet, Dalhart Texas

John,

You can't Texture Match Face Frame Materials or Sheet Stock materials. you must change those images in Preferences Define Materials.

What I was referring to in texture matching was to first select the door/drawer face, then right click on the door/drawer face and select match texture, then move the mouse to the faceframe and click it. The door/drawer face will change to the faceframe texture. At least this is the way it worked when I double checked my method.
    Don
    Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
    www.dlwoodworks.com
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece; But to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, bank accounts empty, credit cards maxed out, defiantly shouting "Geronimo"!

If you make something idiot proof, all they do is create a better idiot.

Kerry-

"You can't Texture Match Face Frame Materials or Sheet Stock materials. you must change those images in Preferences Define Materials. "

Yes- I agree and this is how I have it. This is how this came to be: I have a bank of materials which I call "Maple White" use when I'm building a "White" built-in. So I select the all white cabinet (w/o any doors or drawers- just an open face frame cabinet with shelves) from the library. I wanted to add a drawer, which came in as a stained drawer front. I then right clicked it, selected texture match on the "white" face frame and the drawer front changed to white. When I take the completed cabinet back to "main" view the face frame changes to the original drawer front stain color..? If I hover over the face frame it still lists the "Broad Stock" as "Maple White"

Don-

"What I was referring to in texture matching was to first select the door/drawer face, then right click on the door/drawer face and select match texture, then move the mouse to the faceframe and click it. The door/drawer face will change to the faceframe texture."

Yes- this works just the way you discribe. I just need to be able to do the opposite...

I not sure how else to discribe this.

Kerry Fullington Custom Cabinet, Dalhart Texas

John,

You will need to set your board stock and sheet stock in Preferences to the correct color that you want the cabinets.
    Next do as Don suggests and make sure you do not have the "Common With Door" check box checked in construction Settings/Face Frames/Page 2
    You can now click your door in the Main Screen of the Cabinet Editor to select it (or multiple doors) then hover over your face frame or sheet stock and match texture.

Kerry

Success! Thanks Kerry! Unchecking the "common with door" box made all the difference.