Thread: help for leg

Hybrid View

Default help for leg

I am stuck with the leg in this picture. I have had the indexer since just before Christmas. I can run the spiral, I can run the roughing but the only thing I cannot do is taper. I have an old copy of art cam but the numbers are out of whack on my index. The time is running out for me because I have to get these legs out on my wall unit. If anyone knows how to do it. I am trying to find the post processor for the indexing head on part works 2.5 but there is nothing to be found. I read Randall's guide and some of it helped me a lot. I figured out how to do the flutes but I can't do the taper. Eventually I want to get art cam 2010. The leg will be 34" high and 4" thick. Any help would be helpful.
    I'am locking my self in the shop tommorw till I get
    Thanks for any help
    Attached Images Attached Images

kevin i sent you an email to sales at kdunphy address with an indexer app that will make your tapers for you.

kevin your email bounced. I'll try to post it here if it fails email me and i'll send it to you. myxpykalix@hotmail.com
    Attached Files Attached Files

Using the Indexer Virtual Tool that Jack has provided, I would use the "Turn a blank to a finished size" function to create a taper by entering different numbers in the "Finish radius at start point of turning pattern" and "Finish radius at end point of turning pattern" options.

Then I would use the "Turn traditional flutes, spirals, or rings" function for the flutes, making sure to set the "Radius at Start point of turning pattern" and "Radius at Finish point of turning pattern" to match the taper you just created. (Note that this would be the start and finish of the flute and likely slightly different than the numbers entered for the original blank.)

Unless others have figured out some fancy trick, the Virtual Tool does not provide an option to taper the flutes to match the changing diameter of the blank. To the best of my knowledge, you would need ArtCAM or another similar program to accomplish tapered flutes.

In case it helps, here is the link to the Indexer Virtual Tool manual on the ShopBot web site:
    http://www.shopbottools.com/files/SB...509Indexer.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by jdervin View Post
    Using the Indexer Virtual Tool that Jack has provided, I would use the "Turn a blank to a finished size" function to create a taper by entering different numbers in the "Finish radius at start point of turning pattern" and "Finish radius at end point of turning pattern" options.

Then I would use the "Turn traditional flutes, spirals, or rings" function for the flutes, making sure to set the "Radius at Start point of turning pattern" and "Radius at Finish point of turning pattern" to match the taper you just created. (Note that this would be the start and finish of the flute and likely slightly different than the numbers entered for the original blank.)

Unless others have figured out some fancy trick, the Virtual Tool does not provide an option to taper the flutes to match the changing diameter of the blank. To the best of my knowledge, you would need ArtCAM or another similar program to accomplish tapered flutes.

In case it helps, here is the link to the Indexer Virtual Tool manual on the ShopBot web site:
    http://www.shopbottools.com/files/SB...509Indexer.pdf

Enter 0 in the number of times pattern wraps around blank.
    JOE CULPEPPER

What I can't find is the pp for the indexing head in partworks

Just checking see if there is an easier way .I'am suprised virual tool doesnt do taper flutes also say it can do flutes but no

Thank for the help

Jack email kdunphy@nf.sympatico.ca