Thread: First large Commercial sign

Default First large Commercial sign

I been asked to design the wooden structure for a motel sign.
    They want to reuse the NO VACANCY part of the sign
    The other sign is a typical sign in this municipality
    Wood 6x6 or 8x8 post are pretty standard here with a roof of sorts to shed our
    plentiful liquid sunshine.
    Any ideas how one could improve on the standard design.
    This sign will only have the Sunnycrest Motel and No Vacancy on it for text.

Thanks Brian
    Attached Images Attached Images

Brian,

It all depends on the budget.

Designing a beautiful sign can be done quiet easily but not with the run down neon sign at the bottom. I have to assume this job is on a tight budget. Is that the case and are you sure you want to go in this direction?

Prices on this kind of work ranges from $100 to $125 a square foot.

One of the advantages of signs with a roof, hat section, is the addition of a lights. I've seen these with spotlights under the roof which is very effective. Down here in Oklahoma we need a substantial footing, like the picture, or the whole thing will sailing off. We often have fifty or sixty wind gusts. A nice flat top section will last much better.

Joe
    Last edited by joe; 02-21-2011 at 08:43 AM.

your header says first large commercial sign.
    so with that in mind...
    i would check local zoning dept about sign ordinances and how they would apply to what the customer wants to do. Maybe you have done that already.

your area my not have sign zoning issues like we do here.
    but if so...
    you can give the zoning inspector a few scenarios:
    1. new sign structure with the wood posts , roof , as you mention.
    2. using existing post and just refurbishing what is there with wood sign on top after survey was done to see if the structure was safe (rust issues) and what needed to be done.

In our area if we went new structure they would make us conform to current setbacks which are really restrictive here and not logical in some cases.
    this would also mean new electric runs, electric permits, etc.

I always approach all zoning issues before sketches,
    we usually have to charge from $500 to $800 for permits to do what you want to do with the new structure with wood posts in our area.

You mention improving the design of the wood structure,
    the structure is really first class so that is subjective. the signs on the structure are in my opinion too small or marginally large enough to be read for any advertising value, that may be because of zoning restrictions or budget restrictions on building the structure itself. it would have been nice to see a larger structure to have larger signs. I see that alot here. the owner of the plaza puts up a structure that does not take into consideration legibilty needs for the traffic, etc.

When we get into a project like this the way it typically ends up is that we
    just add a new internally illuminated sign cabinet to replace the old one.
    we design the faces , send to wholesaler who gives us the cabinet with faces. we sub the install, and sub the refurbish of the neon sign
    we would add a artistically designed aluminum pole shroud about 4 to 6ft wide.to the sign to give it some punch.
    could do wood sign with roof also instead of replacing the illuminated sign with another illuminated sign. there is probably a center pole through the electric sign on top. if the cabinet on top was sound we could build a wood sign around that or hdu sign.
    this sign looks like it was built between 1967 and 1973.

anyway i would quote it several ways in our area. when we quote wood we usually may drive by later and see that someone else just replaced the electric sign face and wonder why the customer never gave us that opportunity.

usually three tiered quoting works unless we know we will get the job and the budget is high enough that we can propose some things that will be nice rather than just cheap .

Thanks for the info
    I've talked to the owners about the no vacancy sign.Would a back lite acrylic sign(for the no vacancy)last,or would it yellow in a short while.
    I haven't heard back on the zoning yet.
    I would like to provide an alternative design that will give it something different.
    I keep you posted.

Thank
    Brian

here are options, not suggestions

http://www.brightledsigns.com/produc...-6073-424.html

this should take you to a outdoor led lighted no vacancy sign that has separate transformer for the word no.

i would rather use the led sign with wood sign than refurbish existing neon.
    cheaper to maintain. less of a fire hazard.

they can also just get a led interior led sign for the window
    or install the no vacancy outside led sign close to the office on a wall.

that would take that component out of the design mix.

however some like the nostalgia of neon and the lighted word vacancy in bright neon does attract attention.

I may propose both ideas pending budget.
    for the design i usually would go to google images and type in sunnycrest.
    then get some inspiration there plus look at the environment around the motel, the architecture, all other forms of advertising they have done and make up a few sketches.
    i do not copy exactly what i find for inspiration but it helps to have idea starters.
    Attached Images Attached Images