Thread: Tool Database

Hybrid View

Default Tool Database

My tool database in PW and SB software are different. How can I synchronize the two.

I would also love to know the answer to this. I would like to synchronize the tool database from aspire, PW and the path preview in SB3?

Another thing: Why cant Aspire export files to PW or VCarve Pro? I own aspire, yet I work with other shopbot installations that only have PW. I can read PW files, but not save them back or to VCP. That really is annoying to everyone involved.
    "The best thing about building something new is either you succeed or learn something. Its a win-win situation."

--Greg Westbrook

With the previous versions of Aspire and PW I created a symbolic link from the relevant tool database folder to a central one and both those programs and the SB preview worked fine.

Not sure if it would still work now though as the tool database is a bit different with the new versions. I can't say I ever use the SB preview these days so I haven't had the need to try it.

You can just copy your tool database from one and replace it on the other and it woks fine.

Dana, If you upgraded to aspire, you would still be able to use vcarve with the old password. Then you will have to figure out which version each of you have. When you save it in a newer version, it won't let an older version open it.

I agree being able to save it to a more generic file that any version of aspire or vcarve could open would be nice.

As for the preview in sb3, it is not putting the part in the correct location, they know about it at SB.

I don't have any idea if or when they will fix it.
    Kenneth

This is something I've tried to deal with some time ago and forgot about it as I seldom use the previewer either, but the tool database for the previewer must get it's data from some other place (possibly the .exe itself) because it doesn't change if you if you copy your Aspire/VCP/PW data over and you can even delete the previewer database in "(C:\Program Files (x86)\ShopBot\ShopBot 3\Previewer\ToolDatabase" and it still shows up with the same data.

If you're running a version of Windows with User Account Control then the database gets put into the virtual store and changing it in the program files folder has no effect.

Hi,

The tool database for the current previewer is only compatible with the older tool database from PartWorks 2.x. We are working on an updated previewer which will be compatible with the hierarchical tool database from PartWorks 3.0.

When you start the previewer, it copies the tool database from PartWorks 2.x, overwriting any tool database which is currently there.

Brian