Thread: moving a BT48std ? anything I need to know?

Default moving a BT48std ? anything I need to know?

Hey all,

Not getting much love from the search function, though I swear I've seen this covered before.

Anyway... I am moving shop. Not far, just 3mi across town.

Anything I really need to know about moving my bot? (BT48std)

I am renting a trailer with a full back ramp (basicly a golfcart trailer). My buddy is on castors. I am thinking that with 4 people I can just roll up, ratchet tie down, go slow on surface streets, roll off and be done. Am I fooling myself?

Is there anything I need to secure/disengage/disconnect?

any thoughts appreciated.

Chris
    Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Just a thought. Unplug motors in case of movement.

I moved one over 500 miles with no problem.

- Don't strap over the moving table itself - better to take it off because of jarring if you can.
    - If you leave the table on, make sure it's not free to move back and forth.
    - Make sure the Z carriage is not free to roll on the gantry.
    - As Dave said, unplug your motors (a bit of a nuisance but worth the time)
    - Move the controller and computer in your car seat-belted in for a lot less jarring.
    - The closer to the front of the trailer, the less bouncing and jarring it will get.
    - If the floor of the trailer is wood, it's help a lot to screw bits of scrap snug up against the casters. By using a couple of straps to hold it down so it can't climb over the scrap bits, it'll not move at all.

That's about all I can think of, have fun.

Thanks Guys,

good thoughts all.

I have the powerstick version so the table is a breeze to remove. Already figured it would ride in the bed of my truck. (with all my other bits and bobs)

As far as disconnecting the motors - mine arrived pre-connected in the crate. Would you reccomend dissconecting at the motors themselves? There seems to be a couple of set screws holding the wires into the motor housing. or inside the control box?

Also any reccomendations to keep the z carriage from moving? I can run it all the way to the limit stops and ratchet tie the whole assembly. any better method?

anyway, thanks for the input.

Chris
    Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Chris, Without the alum. table to contend with, you should have it made. Sliding out the powerstick and using your approach to securing the Z car sounds fine to me. I'm no expert on steppers but, as I recall from others comments, disassembling the wiring harness at the motors is risky business. Actually, it seems to me that for only 3 miles, setting the controller on something to absorb jarring (maybe a folded up moving blanket) and securing it lightly so it doesn't bounce off should be more than fine. Then you don't need to disconnect anything. Hope you enjoy your new shop!

Thanks Gerald,

I'll go with that plan, unless someone else chimes in with something we've overlooked.

Wish me luck

Chris