Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Belt drive gear boxes

Sounds like you're just dyin to buy something!!
    You can clean up your rails with a file. The thing I like least about what you wrote about your rig is the hose clamps holding the router. SB has a much more sturdy clamp for a PC and as long as you are staying with a router I would get it.

Default OUCH my ribs!

Dave, your first comment about wanting to buy something made me laugh so hard my cracked ribs hurt. Actually I want to sped the least amount that's necessary to put Bot back into like new working condition....so file it is first, then new pinions since they've never been replaced. So as far as the new control software from SB goes, can I use it with my PRT and what are the computer requirement? ...

The newer software requires at the least a 4-G board or Alpha control box. The older boards will not run with the newest software. If you go to the control software downloads spot on the SB main site there is a link to the newest software you can run. 3.4.27PRT

http://www.shopbottools.com/mSupport...olsoftware.htm

Always good to laugh!

Thanks Dave. Today I got the X&Y rails filed lightly and the carriages reinstalled and rolling smoothly, although the y carriage rails are bowed out aprox .01, causing a tad bit of tightness at the extreme ends, but today I will apply a bar clamp across the 20" span (after loosening the rail bolts in the center of the offending rail). We want a tight fit w/o any impinging of the carriage movement, correct? Should I be able to keep the horizontal Vee rollers on the Y car from spinning (by holding tightly) while pushing samesaid Y car slowly? Looking for a sense of fit.
    Got three new 20 tooth 20 pinions and the PC holder ordered as well, thanks Shopbot Dianne.

The test for wheeel is with the motors unplugged roll the carriage back and forth and make sure all are turning. The wheels that aim sideways act as the holdown and if they are seated right hard handpressure is enough and then tighten them. That design is one of the weakponts. some guys in the past made different modifications to eliminate them.
    How come you didn't get a new z pinion?

My Z pinion looks great compared to the others, they were inexpensive enough to buy so I would have had no reason to not buy one for the Z if it needed one It's probably in good cop diction because i didn't do much 3D work? Well see maybe I'll combine it with another SB order. So Dave what's going on with the belt drive units that were being talked about made earlier in this thread? I've not seen pics and noone is posting comments?

Almost the same time as I got all the parts together I bought a set of Alpha Drivers at a price I couldn't refuse. So now I'm putting together a control box for them and will go to the Alpha motors instead. Hoping to have it running by February at the latest.