Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is this possible

Default Is this possible

Hi, I'm new to this forum but have been viewing quietly all the posts here on the bot. I am looking to start a side business making duplicates of antiques, patterns and eventually broaden my horizons.

I would like to know if this dragon emblem can be duplicated? Would the probe scanner be able to scan this item sufficiently?

Thanks a heap,

Rudy

42264.jpg

yes and yes.

It will take a good bit of skill on your part as well since the machine only does what you tell it to.

I would scan it in 3D and duplicate it, Use the David-Laserscanner software, I would think a touch probe would take to long.

I have scanned and finished objects less than an hour start to finish.

Here is just one post I made just for reference, 9th one down is mine the jesus face, scanned from a brass plaque.

http://www.vectric.com/forum/viewtop...=28&t=5831

Yes it can be scanned and duplicated. You will need to decide how closely you want to match the original. The smaller the bit, the better the detail, but the longer the cut time.

One of the challenges with the piece you have shown will be how to hold the material while machining. If you use vacuum I would suggest leaving a thin skin of material rather than cutting completely through. Then you can easliy sand the back of the piece to remove the skin.

If you use mechanical hold down such as clamps or screws then you will want to machine with tabs to hold the piece in place during the final cutout.

I would use tabs when machining, and cut them after.

Wow, thank you all for the advice. I may try the scan method and one in CAD just to see what the results will be. I'll let the end user decide how much detail is needed.

Rudy,

Just because one method can be used, doesn't mean it is the best choice for reproduction of the item. How big is this emblem? What is the quantity needed? What is the application (indoors, outdoors, wear and tear, etc.)?

you could just make your own
    42300.jpg

Kevin,

I need to make a pattern for a aluminum cast mold for a potential client. So there will be some manual editing to do to allow the mold to release. With the probe, I believe I can edit the 3d file it produces. It will be one copy only, so I'm willing to allow the extra time for the probe to do it's job. Item will be around 12"OD.

Any feedback if the point of the probe would can get into those small crevices?

Thanks again,

Rudy

Joe,

I saw that plaque you did and I must say the quality is amazing! Which laser did you use? What is the limit in size that you can scan? I assume you have to move the camera back which reduces resolution?